Mar. 4: Dad’s day

Today Dad’s on my mind more than usual because it’s his birthday. He would have been 67, had he not passed away unexpectedly in 2005.



This photo is from a surprise party Kathy and I threw for Dad on his 43rd birthday. I don’t remember our line of thinking as to why this was a birthday worthy of a big celebration, but its unremarkability is probably how we pulled off the surprise. He always acted irritated when we put him in the spotlight, but he loved us for it anyway.

Like when we were on a monorail in Las Vegas and Kathy and I started telling other people in the car that the guy on the bench behind us was our dad but he was ignoring us because we were embarrassing him even though he sat there laughing to himself. You could tell he was torn between wanting to knock our heads together and group-hug us.

Here’s my 2008 tribute to Dad on his birthday. I wrote on this day in 2007, but had just returned from our anniversary trip to Florida and the Caribbean and didn’t give it the attention it deserved. Still, reading it again just now reminded me that we share this day with the Baughman girls too. Bless you, Cherie, Shelly, and Lori. I didn’t blog on Dad’s birthday in 2006, but Kathy and I had this tribute printed in The Oregonian that day (misspelled heading was not ours, and fixed before going to print).



Dad, you are missed tremendously. You are loved even more. On our calendars, this day is always going to be yours.

Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

10 comments:

  1. Great post and tribute Jen. The 5th is my grandmother's birthday and she's been on my mind as of late. I know exactly what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen - Very sweet. Your Dad would have hated/loved the attention. He will always be remembered and always missed.

    And Chris, my Grandma's birthday was also March 5th (1915). It's so bittersweet to remember our loved ones.

    Here's to only remembering those wonderful memories this week.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tribute. ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be thinking of you today, Jen. What a lovely way to remember your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From one Yankees fan to another, hope you're watching a ballgame somewhere today, Curt, wherever you are!

    Nice remembrance of your dad, Jen. He'd be proud of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S.

    I've got my "Dad" bracelet on. Hope you do too! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday uncle Curt. I miss you. Nice tribute Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's 10:39 PM in my time zone and I hate to take my Dad Bracelet off even now. Maybe I'll sleep with it tonight. So sad. So missed. So wish he was here. I would have bought him a big present. More than anything, I would have been happy to share his birthday in some special way today. I would really love to trade the lump in my throat and the tears in my eyes for one big Dad hug. Thank you to everyone who shared their hearts with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you to all of you for your thoughtfulness. Kathy and I both feel fortunate to have such kindness sent our way. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's 10:39 PM in my time zone and I hate to take my Dad Bracelet off even now. Maybe I'll sleep with it tonight. So sad. So missed. So wish he was here. I would have bought him a big present. More than anything, I would have been happy to share his birthday in some special way today. I would really love to trade the lump in my throat and the tears in my eyes for one big Dad hug. Thank you to everyone who shared their hearts with us today.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails