Dec. 22: Chemo #2 done

If you ever have to have chemotherapy and Loveliest Lori offers to come sit with you for the much-too-long amount of time it takes to get all the poison in you, LET HER. She made it fun! It helped that she brought a bazillion trashy magazines, like:

Lori said I’m too young to read this magazine so I snuck it home. I must see the 14 sexy party hairstyles! Yes, that’s the part I’m dying to read.
I didn’t get to this one during my appointment so I brought it home, because I simply must find out why guys love me just the way I am. I’m also pretty sure only one guy actually does, and even that’s debatable. But it’s a lovely notion.
How can I possibly resist such exciting and TRUE accounts of scandals and shockers???
A celebrity split? Such a shame. But I’ll read any Us magazine for their “Fashion Police” layout.
I don’t know if I’ve ever read this magazine in my life, but it was scandalicious and that makes it the perfect thing to read during chemo. Hear me? PERFECT.
Lori was disgusted at herself for buying the “Country Special” edition of People. I thought it was still a fun time-waster, even if she refused to read it.
It wasn’t the Bobby Sherman edition, but it was still a good one. I can honestly say it’s been at least 30 years since I’ve held a Tiger Beat. I looked through it, thinking, “I’m old enough to be this kid’s mom… and this kid’s mom… and Zac Efron’s… um… girlfriend…”

Loveliest Lori also brought Now & Laters, one of my favorite candies, and her laptop so I could watch the DVD she gave me—the Journey: Live in Manila concert video, which totally cost more than $10. I love the DVD even though it wasn’t autographed by her drummer bro. (She sent an autographed DVD to Mike Devitt, who she’s never actually met in person and Mike doesn’t even have cancer! But whatever. I still love Lori. Not so sure about Mike. And I’ve met Deen in person on more than one occasion, so suck on that, Mr. Devitt.)

Anyhoodle…

Chemo was uneventful. Before they got me all IV’d up, I met with my oncologist, who was thrilled with my bloodwork. I worked really hard on my blood since I last saw her, so this was no surprise. She was impressed to hear that I’m sleeping in a bed again and taking far less pain medication than I was two weeks ago; she says it’s “almost certainly” because O.J. is shrinking. Isn’t that great news? It is. It is great news.

Now it’s all a waiting game to see how this treatment affects me. Except for feeling tired, which is nothing new, I don’t feel much different tonight. But I’ve got all my anti-nausea drugs nearby to take at the first sign of feeling pukey, and Ensure to deal with my lack of appetite. Oh, and my new satin pillow cover, another treat Loveliest Lori brought for me today! It’s slippery!

My next treatment is Tuesday, January 12. Kim F’n and Sheila R have both offered to sit with me for that one. I’d like for them to get together beforehand to prepare a little IV pole-dancing show for me that day (Lori refused to perform today—something about a busted ankle or pride). Do I have the most wonderful friends, or what? I can’t forget Rockstar Cassie, who took Katie and Jack for a sleepover at her house tonight, and Jenn K, who brought us a delicious lasagna dinner. And then there are all the texts and messages and FB comments I received from well-meaning friends and family today. I tell ya, there are some fabulous people in my life, and I have no idea what I did to deserve them.

But boy, do I like them lots. Even Mike Devitt, who has an autographed DVD but no cancer, because he’s been known to say nice things to me too.

blogsignature

3 comments:

  1. Okay. It pains me greatly to tell you this, but I cannot accompany you on 1/12/10. When is the next one?

    This sucks. I want to be there. I am sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds you had more fun than any ole regular day :). Emma just learned how to make magazine Christmas trees so if you'd like to recycle those trashy mags into 'cute decor', let her know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to rationalize opportunities to read trashy magazines! For me it's usually air travel, road travel... any old travel! Glad the ups and downs of celebrity existence helped make your day go by more quickly--and of course Lori's presence helped too. Here's to a quick recovery from this round, and further shrinking of OJ!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails