Here’s my summary of September 2012. The little owl image is in honor of my friend Sherilee, who has, as she puts it, “a thing for owls.”
Special days I celebrated this month and how:
- Kim F’n-W Day! Kim’s birthday was the 6th, as well as my cousin Deanna’s and friend Dan’s. What a terrific day to celebrate three terrific people! Kim and I decided long ago that September is Kimjenber until the 7th, when we change over to Jenkimber. Sooo… the 6th is special for that reason too.
- Wendy’s birthday! Fun surprise-y lunch on Thirsty Thursday. Yay!
- MY birthday! It was mostly fab, but-cept for this.
- Tina’s birthday! That was last Friday, and we had a girls’ night out with Val and Theresa. It was a fantastic evening and left us all quite flammable.
- Those weren’t even all the celebrations on my calendar this month—Julianne, Jacob, Mack, Megan, Lafe, April, Margaret, and Hawaii Laura all had birthdays too.
Gifts I gave and/or received this month:
- I gave and received lotsa birthday gifts—what fun!
- I received one gift that deserves its own blog post. Hopefully I’ll be able to write it up soon. It’s a doozy.
Books I read this month:
- My concentration has been lacking lately, so I haven’t been reading as much as usual. This month I re-read Why Girls Are Weird—I was needing something familiar and comforting, not to mention hilariously, intensely readable.
- Right now I’m about two-thirds of the way through A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It’s been on my list for years—how have I gotten to this age without ever reading it before? I blame my Adventist education and teachers who thought all fiction was the devil’s work. Pfffft. Anyway, I adore the book so far, and I kinda don’t want it to end.
Movies and TV shows worth mentioning:
All the new episodes of the shows I’ve missed all summer: I’ve been welcoming them back with open
arms eyes. I love Hulu Plus.
This month’s disappointments:
- Can I be happy for a friend who flew off to a Hawaiian vacation today and still be totally bummed out that I’m not there too? If so, then that. Hope you’re having fun, Val!
- The anniversary of 9/11 brings up tragic of memories of that day. I don’t know if it ever won’t. It shouldn’t.
- I hate being reminded of how mean and immature some people can be. It’s a lot nicer to go through life pretending they don’t exist, or at least not paying any attention to them. But then they get in your face, and UGH, you just feel like you’re in junior high again.
- Lots of school stuff you don’t care about. Unfortunately, the busy-ness of school keeps me from blogging more often. You may not care about that either. You’re mean.
- I’ve sat through Jack’s football games without falling asleep. I read a magazine at one of ‘em, though. Vic called me “Darlene” because apparently his mom used to take reading materials to Mariners games. I would never take a magazine to a *real* game!
- I’ve been getting lots of extra sleep. My body’s been telling me it’s tired, and I’ve been listening;—people are supposed to do that, right? Sooo… when it’s 9pm and I can’t keep my eyes open, I go to bed. There’ve been nights I’ve slept 11 hours—it’s quite lovely. This translates into needing fewer naps, which I haven’t had time for anyway, so my days have been more productive too.
Anything else noteworthy:
- Vic’s car is fixed. I didn’t like being a one-car family at all—way too much planning required.
- Katie started cross-country, and she’s hardly taken off her sweatshirt since. It’s very Sue Heck.
- Stephanie has reconsidered her bet with me now that Romney is goin’ down in flames. I should probably insist that a bet’s a bet, and make her do something horribly Democrat-y on Election Day. Lucky for her I like her so much, I’ll be kind no matter what.
- I have funny things: