Let’s see how many posts I can squeeze in before I start Screen-Free Week on Monday.
I’ve got a bunch to share, so this is a long-ish post. I think I’ve posted a few of these images to Facebook already, but I’m sure you’ll forgive repeats and if you won’t, then whatevs. You smell like butt. (I’ve been spending a lot of time with my fourth-grader, obvy.)
A bit different version of this quote:
“If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be gay, the least you can do is go into the arts. I'm not kidding. The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way to make life more bearable.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country
I love this idea so, so much. It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Dead Poet’s Society:
We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play *goes on* and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?
When I saw Dead Poet’s Society, I was so moved by this particular moment that when I left the theater, I was determined to change my major to English—something I’d considered for a couple years but didn’t have the nerve to do. I was on the home stretch to graduation, though, and my earlier decisions had already extended my education an extra year; I just couldn’t stand the idea of tacking on one more. I convinced myself that a business degree would take me further than an English degree—such silliness. Having been out of school 20+ years now, I know it would’ve made no difference at all.
Still, I love music and books and poetry and creativity. I love making things—doing artsy shit does make my soul grow.
Every once in a while I check my blog stats because I love to see the weird search terms that brought people to my blog. This one made me laugh out loud—and I bet the searcher was just as disappointed not to find pictures of Debi’s sparkly butt as the ones who used to find me searching for “zac efron pantsless.”
This is kinda hard to read. Here’s what it says:
1) The “Lurker” - Never posts anything or comments on your post, but reads everything, and might make reference to your status if they see you in public.
2) The “Hyena” – Doesn’t ever really say anything, just LOLs and LMAOs at everything.
3) “Mr./Ms. Popular” - Has 4,367 friends for NO reason.
4) The “Gamer” - Plays Words With Friends, Mafia Wars, bakes virtual cakes and stuff, etc., ALL DAY.
5) The “Prophet” - Every post makes reference to God or Jesus.
6) The “Thief” - Steals status updates... and will probably steal this one.
7) The “Cynic” - Hates their life, and everything in it, as evidenced by the somber tone in ALL of their status updates.
8) The “Collector” - Never posts anything either, but joins every group and becomes fans of the most random stuff.
9) The “Promoter” - Always sends event invitations to things that you ultimately delete or ignore.
10) The “Liker” - Never actually says anything, but always clicks the ‘like’ button.
11) The “Hater” - Every post revolves around someone hating on them, and they swear people are trying to ruin their life.
12) The “Anti-Proofreader” - This person would benefit greatly from spellcheck, and sometimes you feel bad for them because you don’t know if they were typing fast, or really can’t spell.
13) “Drama Queen/King” - This person always posts stuff like ‘I can't believe this!’ or ‘They gonna make me snap today!’ in the hopes that you will ask what happened, or what’s wrong... but then they never finish telling the story.
14) “Womp Womp” - This person consistently tries to be funny... but never is.
15) The “News” - Always updates you on what they are doing and who they are doing it with, no matter how arbitrary.
16) The “Rooster” - Feels that it is their job to tell Facebook "Good Morning" every day.
Which one are you? I think I’m the Lurker or the Liker most the time.
I used to think anything “sock monkey” was adorable. I have now been proven wrong.
I love this path design and would definitely do it to the path in our front yard if we didn’t have The Great Re-arranger next door. Yep, Alex likes to move our fountain rocks around—good thing we don’t spend time making them look perfect. If I did this path design, I would get all yell-y whenever anyone came near it. I don’t want to be the neighborhood’s Crazy Lady.
Still… isn’t it pretty? Maybe for the backyard???
Sherilee posted this on her blog yesterday. I love the sentiment, and the pretty pretty pretty handwriting is icing.
How awesome is this pregnancy announcement???
That’s good for now. Have a lovely Saturday!