Jan. 4: I guess I’m one of the “kids these days”

daisy Tonight is the U.S. premiere of Downton Abbey’s fifth season. I be soooo excited. Even Victor is looking forward to it, but don’t tell him I told you.

I generally enjoy historical fiction in movies/books/television, but when I hear people say, “Oh, how I wish I lived in that era,” I think they’re full of it. I mean, COME ON. You really want to give up all the conveniences of the 21st century just to live in a world that was ultra-proper, demeaning to minorities, and used the slowest-ever transportation methods?

Uhhh, no thanks. I definitely do NOT wish life now was more like the world in which our ancestors lived (to ripe old middle age). I’ll admire all that stuff from my fort of memory foam pillows, thankyouverymuch.

I love the interesting clothing from past eras, but am grateful I live in an age of yoga pants and oversized t-shirts.

Having to be perfectly-mannered at all times would suck. I’d probably be the woman they insist be institutionalized because she just can’t understand that certain things should not be said or done in front of other people.

And the dirt! Once you’ve left the castles, there’s so much dirt. It’s everywhere, and it’s all the time. What’d they use for Purell back then? Probably lye.

Really, I prefer NOW. I love the instant ways we communicate. I appreciate the technology that has made many parts of our lives easy. Air conditioning is un-live-without-able. I’m thankful for bike helmets, seat belts, and vaccinations. And I like that I don’t have to wear an evening gown to dinner with my family.

But I’ll take a staff of servants, for sure.

jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails