Aug. 29: Month in Review

Here’s my review of August 2012.

Special days I celebrated this month and how:

  • No big-deal birthdays or holidays. August measures low on the celebrations scale in our family.
  • Katie registered for seventh grade.
  • PTO started moving full steam ahead-like this month. That’s cool (for now).

Gifts I gave and/or received this month:

PTO welcomed teachers back to school with special survival kits. They were so much fun to put together! We presented them yesterday at the Welcome Back lunch we serve every summer.

No, they aren’t 2-liter bottles of booze. They contain disposable toothbrushes, microwave popcorn, Alka-Seltzer, lip balm, Motrin, personalized note cards, ear plugs, lint rollers, mints, marbles (in case they lose theirs), energy bars, cough drops, and more silly things. How we got all the stuff in there is m-a-g-i-c. For realsies.

I tried to pack a little extra hate in a couple of the teachers’ bottles, but Theresa wouldn’t let me. Pfffftt. Theresa’s such a peace-keeper. She’s like Gandhi, if Gandhi was a wine-swigging, potty-mouthed, very pretty girl.

While searching the web for teacher gift ideas, I found this:



Books I read this month:

  • The Angel’s Game, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. I thoroughly enjoyed this book--could hardly put it down--though I’m not entirely sure what happened. He said it was supposed to be up to our own imagination, but I must not have one because I was ever so confused!
  • Memoirs of a Geisha, by Arthur Golden. This glimpse into Japanese culture was completely fascinating.
  • The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards. I did not enjoy this book. It was so sad and hopeless, and I hated the deceit from which the story was made. While it had the happiest ending it could have, it was still just a big bummer.

Movies and TV shows worth mentioning:

  • So glad that Grimm is back on TV.
  • The Olympics were great fun.
  • My laptop fan makes a terribly loud noise that makes me want to throw it against the wall. Playing PIXAR movies at high volume drowns out the noise. I kinda love it a lot. 
  • I watched the first episode of the new Matthew Perry sit-com and it looks pretty funny. It’s Chandler-y sarcasm and wit--LOVE!

Special or unusual purchases I made:

  • It’s not every month I buy 18 lint rollers.
  • Jack got sport goggles for playing football. They’re funny. Don’t tell him I said that; to him, I said he looked totally awesome, like a real athlete.

This month’s disappointments:

  • Summer seemed awfully short.
  • Victor’s stoopid car is acting weird.
  • Jack had his first football injury--he hurt his foot. We thought it was broken at first because it was so swollen and tender, and Lucy stepping on it didn’t help. By the next day, though, he had no trouble putting weight on it. Whew.

My accomplishments:

PTO projects are coming along. Preparing for school to begin is a pretty big task, but I have enthusiastic helpers, thank buddha.

Anything else noteworthy:

  • I hate Express-Scripts so much. If they were a person I would make a voodoo doll and do despicable, fiery things to it. 
  • I got interviewed by a newspaper about surviving cancer. More on that later.
  • I have funny pictures to share:


 






That’s it, doods.
blogsig

1 comment:

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails