May 27: A delightful evening

Armistead Maupin is doing a book tour for Michael Tolliver Lives, which is a follow-up to the beloved Tales of the City series. Tonight’s stop was in Portland.

I saw him a few years ago when he toured for The Night Listener, my first time seeing a big-name author. He read a chapter, talked a little, answered some questions, and autographed books. In the Q&A portion I was annoyed by some in the crowd—you know the types, they want everyone to know that have some tiny connection to the author so they ask an obscure question just to show off. Bleah.

Tonight he followed a similar schedule. The chapter he chose to read was when Michael goes to see his mom in the nursing home in Orlando, and I loved hearing “her” voice—all sass and thick Southern accent, and so different from the way it read in my head!

None of those in attendance tonight were really obnoxious know-it-alls, thank goodness. There were lots of questions about the TOTC characters’ fates, the miniseries, and personal questions about Maupin’s life. I could have listened to him talk for hours, and I think he would have liked to. While many authors may prefer to be admired from afar, Maupin seems to be an open book and will talk about virtually anything. I respect that so much.

Some of the things you Armistead Maupin fans may care to know:

  • Someone asked what he thinks about people like Perez Hilton that “out” closeted celebrities. His reply was, “Can we use someone other than Perez Hilton as an example? I can’t stand that little worm.” His complaint with Perez’s manner of pushing celebrities out of the closet is that he is mean-spirited about it even when he has the chance to do it in a much kinder way.
  • When asked when his next book will come out, he says he has a title for it, but that’s all so far. His plan is to finally redeem Mary Ann. Circumstances will bring her back to San Francisco and the book will be primarily about her. He’s planning to call it Mary Ann’s Autumn.
  • He said he found Laura Linney to be the embodiment of Mary Ann, and now hears her voice (rather than his own) when he writes her. Linney was a big influence on his decision to start this next book.
  • There is a Broadway musical based on Tales in the works. One of the Avenue Q writers is involved, as well as the lead singer of the Scissor Sisters. It is planned to be part of the 2009-10 Broadway season.
  • He and his husband were married in Vancouver last year and are planning to be married in California this summer.


I asked him to sign my copy of Michael Tolliver Lives (see crappy phone pic). He saw my bookplate and read my name out loud (brave guy). He wondered about the origin of “Manullang” and then asked with a smile, “And ‘Saltmarsh’ is the name you took on during your hippie phase in college?” He almost didn’t believe me when I told him it was my maiden name. While he was writing, I told him I had recommended his books to several “Lenores” (the name of Michael Tolliver’s ultra-conservative sister-in-law) and he laughed. I said, “I just tell them the truth—they’re good books—and hand them over without any warning of the elements I know will freak them out.” He said he’s actually been praised by conservative critics for not writing those kinds of characters unfairly. (Maybe he’s a little too nice???)

On the way home I got this text message from April: Pls ask armistead what-the w/the end of night listener. Well, on the last tour, he wasn’t willing to give too much away about the truth behind the novel. This time he came right out and gave the facts. April, you can check out the details here.

Best part of the evening, besides our short chat: he opened with the hilarious story of his sister’s mother-in-law, who wears a bag over her head during gynecological exams. If you ever get a chance to hear this man speak, it’s worth it just to hear that story.

Linky linky...

Tales of the City (1978)
More Tales of the City (1980)
Further Tales of the City (1982)
Babycakes (1984)
Significant Others (1987)
Sure of You (1989)
Maybe the Moon (1992)
The Night Listener (2000)
Michael Tolliver Lives (2007)
Wikipedia: Armistead Maupin
Wikipedia: Tales of the City

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to read his books. Where do I start?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Lori! Start with Tales and go through Sure of You, then read Michael Tolliver Lives. Maybe the Moon is loosely based on the story of the person inside the E.T. costume. It's been forever since I read it, but I remember liking it. The Night Listener is about an experience that Maupin actually had with a wacked-out fan. Both of those books, obviously, are unrelated to the Tales series. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails