May 22: Nerd alert!

Since I was in middle school, I’ve had an interest in rocks. It started at summer camp when I registered so late the only activity left was Natural Science. We went hunting for thundereggs—camp was in central Oregon, so, y’know, duh—and glued crystals and rocks to a board with fancy labels. And yes, I actually memorized Moh’s scale of mineral hardness. (Shut up, Sonya—I know you’re laughing at me and Shanna right now.)

Today the only thing I remember about mineral hardness is that talc is the softest and diamond is the hardest. So I may be a nerd girl of epic proportions but I no longer don’t walk around reciting this oh-so-interesting data. Got it?

In the past couple years I’ve done research on gemstones and their metaphysical properties, information I use when creating jewelry. I keep this data in a Word document that is currently 86+ pages long and could probably scare a lot of people who think I’m somewhat normal. The idea that gemstones have powers puts me in the stratosphere of “kooky” in some people’s minds.

I don’t care; maybe I am kooky. But I think it’s cool. And while it’s possible that people are just being nice, they seem to appreciate my efforts to select stones especially for them when I make jewelry gifts. (This pic’s for you, Sonya…)

It’s common knowledge that magnets and copper are used as alternative health treatments. A lot of stones are considered helpful in treating the immune system, depression and anxiety, high blood pressure, and other common ailments. Some work better when combined with other stones. Here are a few of the more interesting tidbits from my research:

  • Emerald makes the wearer clever and funny
  • Who needs Gatorade? Poppy Jasper can help increase physical endurance and ward off dehydration.
  • Lepidolite heals wrinkles
  • Riding in a car with children for a few hours? Give everyone a Green Aventurine for their pockets. It will keep attitudes positive, encourage a happy spirit and provide some protection against the misadventures of other drivers.
  • Leopardskin Jasper helps control body odor
  • In ancient times, Chalcedony was used as a talisman against idiocy (I say it’s worth a try in current times too)
  • Iolite is thought to protect the wearer on marine journeys
  • The wearer of Garnets is kept in good health and protected while traveling. It is also considered the Gem of Friendship.
  • Mookaite connect us to loved ones who have passed away
  • Sardonyx makes its wearer a pleasant person
  • It is said that Amethyst “prevents” drunkenness. Ancient Greeks were so convinced of this that they created wine goblets made from Amethyst so they could drink and drink and drink. Crazy ancient Greeks!
  • Morganite promotes sisterhood
  • Peridot is another stone of friendship
  • Moonstone helps your pet to deal with stress and emotional instability
  • Apparently Yellow Topaz can do it all! It cures gout, sleeplessness, lunacy, and sudden death.
  • The Masai tribes of Tanzania are said to consider Tanzanite to be connected with birth and give it as a gift on the birth of the first child
  • Silver can be worn as a belt buckle to improve fertility. (Must be common knowledge in Texas, hm?)
  • Nephrite aids cure of bed-wetting
  • White Onyx is said to soothe quarreling couples
  • Opal will help blondes keep their hair color longer
  • Unakite can aid in gaining weight. Uh, yeah… who wouldn’t want that?
  • Pearls are thought to inhibit rough behavior, and are a good stone for children to wear (and we laughed at Lisa Simpson!)
  • Smoky Quartz is good for people with radiation-related illness or those in chemotherapy
  • Sapphire can kill spiders
  • Sodalite blocks radiation and thus is a good stone to keep by a television or computer
  • Turquoise can be helpful to those that suffer from motion sickness


One more thing and then I promise, no more science. Here’s a link to 11 extreme close-up photos of sand. Besides being quite beautiful at this magnification, it’s interesting to see what sand actually consists of in different parts of the world. Most importantly, with all the potential healing power of these rocks, I’m going to go ahead and assume that the best thing we can do for our ailing selves is to spend time on a beach.

Just call me Dr. Jen. I prefer that to Dr. Nutjob, thank you.

1 comment:

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails