Whenever I watch TV shows at nbc.com, I see a little ad for Smash in the corner. Last week I finally clicked the link and OMG! I think I have now found my new favorite show. The full-length premiere episode is online now, even though it won’t air on the network until February 6.
This article describes the show quite well; it basically follows the creation of a Broadway musical about Marilyn Monroe. Smash has a great cast, as well as a superb behind-the-scenes team (including Marc Shaiman, who wrote the songs for Hairspray the Musical and the must-see Funny or Die video, Prop 8 – The Musical). Here’s what I love after watching the first episode:
- Debra Messing—I forgot how much I enjoy her.
- Megan Hilty—she played Galinda/Glinda in the Wicked tour that came through Portland a while back, and was fantastic. I think her Smash character, Ivy, is going to be kinda evil. I already love her.
- Jack Davenport—he played Norrington in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. He looks so different in Smash, but that voice is very recognizable. I keep waiting for him to mutter something diabolical about Jack Sparrow.
- Anjelica Huston—I don’t have any special fondness for her, but she’s a great actress and seems perfect for her role as a producer.
- Will Chase—he played Roger in Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway so I love him.
- The original songs! The performances! The characters! And did I mention the original songs?
Watch Smash here and don’t be surprised if it makes you finally comprehend just how very much Glee sucks.