Apr. 10: Car Talk (non-NPR version)

Two things:

  1. I listened to and appreciated your suggestions and advice about cars. If you don’t want to believe it (Lori), that’s your own paranoia.
  2. Next year we will probably be getting rid of the MPV so I’m filing away the aforementioned suggestions and advice and will refer to them often, I’m sure, as we get closer to making a decision about that.

And the winner is...

I bought a Jetta yesterday. Don’t be bitter at me for not going with the Prius (Lori).

Sheila, the Highlander is my top choice for a larger vehicle. We looked at them before we got the MPV a few years ago but the third row was a new feature then and really uncomfortable and awkward. Only the kids and my teeny mother-in-law would have fit back there. It’s supposedly gone through some refinements and is now better, though I doubt it is or ever will be roomy enough for adults on long trips. Everyone I know that owns a Highlander loves it.

Victor doesn’t know that much about hybrids, it seems—after all, he did say “PRY-us” until yesterday when I showed him the blog comments and texts I received!—but I’ll make sure we do some good research over the next year. I think the hybrid Highlander might just be for us.

And if we decide to replace the MPV with something smaller, then the Prius looks promising. It will probably be Vic’s car and he doesn’t have the VW devotion that I do.

Not that you care (Lori), but I love my new Jetta. They didn’t have the white I wanted, so I went with silver even though it’s kinda blah. And I didn’t spring for the fancy wheels because I was trying to keep the $$ low. I’ve convinced myself that even though the exterior isn’t exactly what I wanted, it doesn’t affect the zippiness I so dearly love. It’s still a VW and therefore pretty darn near perfect in every other way.

Well, perfect but-cept the cup holders. What the hell? Do Germans just hold their beer while they drive? VW cup holders are the worst, and have only marginally improved in the 10+ years since my first VW.

Thanks again. You guys are wicked cool.

3 comments:

  1. If you're happy then...

    Whatever. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats - but me thinks you need to use that ole lemon law, turn in the Jetta and get a British flag painted MINI - Randy, yeah baby!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori (Who apparently doesn't gJune 27, 2011 at 11:42:00 AM PDT

    If you're happy then...

    Whatever. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails