Apr. 9: Cars, part deux

Guess what? We’re going to look at cars today. Well, we might. Depends if we get off work when we’re supposed to, which almost never happens.

I appreciate the automobile advice y’all offered. I looked into Priuses (Priuii? Priapism?) last night and got all excited about them. They’re cute, they’re efficient, and they seem fun. Then Victor said if I don’t like the way a Camry handles, I’m not going to like a Prius any better because they’re designed to be even more aerodynamic.

When I’ve driven my mom’s and mother-in-law’s Camrys (Camries? Camrii?), I can turn the steering wheel back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, and I’m still going straight down the middle of the road, all the while terrorizing my passengers. Wheeeee! Oh yes, the Camry is a lovely car to drive; it’s effortless and easy to terrorize one’s passengers and who wouldn’t want that?

But here’s the thing: driving the VW, if I turn the wheel just a teence, the car goes in that direction. Steering is very responsive and that’s what I love about it. I think it’s called Fahrvergnügen, if I remember my mid-90s advertising correctly. Whatever it is, it’s perfect for the person that needs to feel in control of everything. That would be me. Yes, the VW has quite possibly contributed to my need for a rheumatologist, what with the steering wheel requiring a GRIP to turn, not just a knee. But if the VW didn’t do it, the 20-hour/day keyboard use would have. Meh.

Lastly, every VW we’ve had could turn on a friggin’ DIME. I’ve been driving the MPV the past few days and I don’t think I could do a U-turn on a 7-lane road with that thing. (Plus it’s a minivan, sorta. Me no likey no matter how practical.)

.
.
.

As you might have guessed, I’m looking at the Jetta if we go look at cars today.

Now I need two other important questions answered:

  1. How the h-e-double-hockeysticks do you pronounce “Prius” anyway? I say “PREE-us” and Vic says “PRY-us.” He’s wrong, right? (Lori and Chris, you can argue this one out.)
  2. Why can’t Toyota, a company that makes great cars, give them names that pluralize more easily? Sheesh.
  3. Is “pluralize” a word? I’m too lazy to look it up.

4 comments:

  1. Jen,

    "Emily", my 2004 Camry, will be offended by your comments. She takes great pride in her performance!

    It is pronounced PrEEis -- A friend of mine has one and that's how she pronounces it; and she's a PhD, so doesn't take make her an expert at everything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When did you become AJ Foyt, Jen? How fast can you drive through those narrow streets you live in at Del Boca Vista? Anyway, drive a PREEEEUS. You'll love the handling. It turns really tight and the best thing about it (besides the 50 mpg) is the enormous amount of legroom in the backseat. You'll have a hard time PRYING Vic out of the car once he drives it. Did I mention I miss my Prius???? :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I geeked out with the console in the PrEEEEEEus. I'm in love with the touch screen and all it's ooy gooey geekiness fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When did you become AJ Foyt, Jen? How fast can you drive through those narrow streets you live in at Del Boca Vista? Anyway, drive a PREEEEUS. You'll love the handling. It turns really tight and the best thing about it (besides the 50 mpg) is the enormous amount of legroom in the backseat. You'll have a hard time PRYING Vic out of the car once he drives it. Did I mention I miss my Prius???? :(

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails