The lovely Dawn has answered our prayers! She e-mailed me the much-requested recipe this afternoon. Here you go.
Dawn's Macaroni & Cheese
- Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil
- 1 pound elbow macaroni or cavatappi
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter, divided
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated (4 cups)
- 8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¾ pound fresh tomatoes (4 small)
- 1½ cups fresh white bread crumbs (5 slices, crusts removed)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it. Melt 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter in a large (4-quart) pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, 1 tablespoon salt and pepper and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a 3-quart baking dish.
- Slice the tomatoes and arrange on top. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine them with the fresh bread crumbs, and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.
She added this note at the bottom of the recipe: Oh, did I forget to mention the recipe comes from the Barefoot Contessa Family Style Cookbook? Well, it does. Now, I can use it as my own but Ina might get me for plagarism. Although, I did change one ingredient so maybe I'm really off the hook. ha, he, ha.
Thanks for sharing, Dawn! You. Are. Fabulous.