Oct. 9: Eight crazy nights

Today's topic is menorahs. I don't know why either.

First, I'm not Jewish so I claim to be no expert on the history or significance of the menorah. But I've always considered it sort of a sacred symbol, maybe comparable to Christians' nativity scene. Here's what Wikipedia says:

The menorah is a seven branched candelabrum lit by olive oil in the Tabernacle and the Temple in Jerusalem. The menorah is one of the oldest symbols of the Jewish people. It is said to symbolize the burning bush as seen by Moses on Mount Sinai (Exodus 25). The Menorah is also a symbol closely associated with the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah. The Hanukkah menorah has not seven, but nine candle holders.

Now, remember, that's from Wikipedia, so you know it's got to be correct.

Sacred symbol? Then explain these:


Disney's contribution has Mickey and Minnie roller-skating. Yes, roller-skating.


Doesn't the simple structure of the menorah just beg to be constructed as swings and a slide? At first I thought these were salt shakers, but then I thought "that doesn't make any sense!" Hm.


Here's a soft squeaky dog toy because Rover needs to celebrate his Judaism too. When he squeezes it in his mouth, it plays "Rock of Ages." Of course.


This is just downright creepy.




Who thought this was a good idea?




OK, the lasers are an awesome touch




A Hogwart's Menorah. Sure.






This was handcrafted and apparently is not for sale (unlike most of the others), which makes it a little less irreverent, IMO. I mean, it's sorta funny and no one's trying to make a buck off it, right?




This is the weird menorah that prompted my menorah-themed post. I saw it on one of my favorite gadget web sites. Since it's not a gadget I'm not sure why it was there, but whatever... Probably one of the dumbest things ever, wouldn't you agree?

As non-religious as I am these days, I find it a bit surprising that I am still occasionally bothered by what some call "celebrating their religious holidays." I don't know why I care. I make fun of Christian stuff all the time. In fact, when setting up the kids' Little People Nativity Set one December a few years back, I couldn't find one of the wise men so I replaced him with the Little People circus monkey from the Circus Train set. And I decided I liked it better that way so now it's like that every year. (Hey, if the man was so wise, why'd he get himself lost?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails