Apr. 22: Legend of the Falls


I've lived in Oregon all my life, and in Portland for 31+ years. Vic has lived here for 16 years. Today we stopped at the viewpoint on I-205 and looked at Willamette Falls, and it was the first time either of us had seen them in person. I saw them on TV in 1996 during the floods; the river was so high they had virtually disappeared. I seem to remember a house floating down that stretch of the river too. But the falls can't be seen from the highway--they're far below the road--and on the Oregon City side they're mostly blocked by ugly industrial buildings. I know there are other viewpoints, but obviously I don't know where they are.

Not only are the Willamette Falls actually quite beautiful, there is also an interesting fact about them that I was pretty sure Vic pulled out of his arse until I came home and verified it on the World Waterfall Database (for reals!). It is the second largest waterfall in the U.S. (by volume)--the first, of course, being Niagara Falls. Perty cool for little ol' Portland.

The fact that I was a leetle excited about finally seeing Willamette Falls up close and personal makes me a total geek, doesn't it? Meh.

With as much love as a geek could possibly be capable of feeling--

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails