July 3: Thursday Thirteen #3

Time again for Thursday Thirteen. In honor of tomorrow’s holiday, I thought it was a good time to present just a few of my random thoughts about our country.

13 things about being an American

  1. Independence Day is one of my favorite holidays because it typically involves meat on a grill, good weather and a lot of people. I do not, however, enjoy the illegal fireworks some Oregonians purchase over in Washington and bring back to my neighborhood.
  2. Although I think the war is a bad idea, I am in full support of our troops for doing the job they are asked to do.
  3. As an adult I now realize I didn’t pay enough attention in U.S. history classes in high school and college. It would be embarrassing to confess some of the things I’ve had to look up on the Internet so certain issues make more sense.
  4. Hearing The Star-Spangled Banner sung at baseball games always makes me teary.
  5. I like apple pie.
  6. Seeing the ratty, faded flags people have had on their cars since just after 9/11 makes me angry. If you’re proud enough to wear/display a flag, show some respect for it!
  7. I hate that so much of the world thinks we Americans are jerks and I hope that can change because some of us are really quite nice.
  8. I am thankful for U.S. seat belt laws, helmet laws, and the new cell phone laws, even though the fact that they’re laws shows how little common sense people have.
  9. Red, white and blue are my favorite colors but I don’t wear all three together because that just looks ridiculous.
  10. It is important to me that my children grow up to be politically open-minded, but I don’t think I’m going to be very good at teaching them to be open to opposing points of view. They already ask why I mute the TV and “make that weird face” whenever George W. Bush speaks.
  11. I have been to 25 of our 50 states.
  12. People that don’t vote really piss me off. It is incredibly ignorant.
  13. U.S. currency is not as colorful or interesting as other countries’ but I still like it, especially when it’s in my pocket.


12 comments:

  1. I love #10 and I agree totally with #12.

    Happy July 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cry, too, but not just at baseball games. It's pretty much every time I hear the National Anthem played.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list, Jen! I can see you love your country just as I do. (We all know it's not perfect, but it's still awesome). My TT is also 4th of July related...stop on by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any holiday that involves meat on a grill is sure to be a favorite of mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list Jen. I totally agree with many of these. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you said about the war. My heart always goes with the troops, even if I don't support the war. And your reaction to seeing W. on TV made me smile. Happy 4th, and thanks for leaving such a nice comment on my TT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. God Bless American! Happy 4th!

    Happy TT as well! My list is up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't pay much attention in my U.S. History classes either. But I'm learning it again as my kids learn it. We enjoy reading U.S. historical fiction aloud.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you so much! happy 4th!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not American but I think you people are lucky to be born and live in the US. Happy independence day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy 4th of July!
    Thanks for visiting my Belgium TT. I laughed out loud about your mother-in-law's comment on Manneken pis. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails