Sep. 11: Thursday Thirteen #10

I haven’t participated in Thursday Thirteen for a few weeks. Life got really hectic and I couldn’t put the time into coming up with 13 anythings. But I’m back this week. Being that today is an anniversary, I feel I should do something related to September 11 but I don’t want to because it would be depressing and bring everybody down. Instead, I’ll do a list related to me and bring myself down.

Next week I will turn 40 years old; thus, today I start the last week of being thirty-anything. Here are 13 things that happened in the past decade that changed my life.

Thirteen thirtysomethings

  1. The biggie: I became a mom. Katie was born when I was 31; Jack when I was 33.
  2. I hung on to much of my pregnancy weight and hate myself for it.
  3. The other biggie: My dad died when I was 36. People who say adults don’t need their parents are wrong or lying. My dad was far from SuperDad, but I was not done with him yet, and I miss him every single day.
  4. I re-claimed my mother when I was 36. She got a long-overdue divorce from a “man” who was selfish, judgmental and completely farked in the head. (I should be commended on my restraint in leaving the description of him brief and profanity-free.) It was dreadful to watch her go through the divorce, but the bonus is that now my mom is my mom again. I adore her, I admire her, and I am very, very proud of whom she is.
  5. I finally made a break from the church in which I was raised. This happened gradually, but I reached the point of no return when I was 34. Later, when my mom’s 23-year marriage crumbled the way it did and I saw how “our” church handled it (by pretending they didn’t notice), I was more sure than ever that I had made a good decision. For me, this feels right. I am happy living a life that has nothing to do with organized religion.
  6. At almost 33 I watched in horror as the events of September 11, 2001 unfolded. Like many people, I feel that my priorities in life changed that day.
  7. Although I can’t pinpoint an actual age that it happened, I became more convicted about my political views in my 30s.
  8. I attended my 20th high school reunion when I was 37. I know some people dread these events, but I thought it was an absolute blast.
  9. My husband and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary when I was 38. I never doubted we’d make it that far, but I (we) still feel very proud of that milestone.
  10. I was laid off a job that I loved when I was 31. The company closed during my maternity leave, and when I was ready to go back to work, there was no job to return to. I started doing the same kind of work as an independent contractor and am still doing it almost nine years later.
  11. I started a family web site, which evolved over the years into this blog, when I was 31.
  12. At 38, I became an ordained reverend of the Universal Life Church. Their doctrine? Do that which is right. No Jesus-freak, holier-than-thou stuff.
  13. Exciting travel firsts: I traveled to Europe when I was 32, went on a Caribbean cruise when I was 34, turned 36 while at Disney World, and went to Canada when I was 39.

Next week: Things I hope to see happen in my 40s.

18 comments:

  1. I did the baby and weight thing in my 30's too. It was strange taking my kids to pre-school and seeing all these young mothers there with their kids. Now I'm as old as a lot of grandmothers, but still busy raising my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! This was very interesting to read. I think I'll do something similar when I TURN 30. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I would have done all my biggies in my 30's instead of my 20's then maybe I would have handled them better... but knowing me, oh well :-)

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen E--when I call you a bitch for that comment, you know I mean it with equal parts love and hatred, right? :)

    ABD--I did some of my biggies in my 20s (got married, built a house, bought my first car, graduated college, etc.). The problem with having kids in your 30s is that your brain works better but your body doesn't. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm 38. I just watched "The Last Lecture." I had a short list of things to do before I turn 30, but I don't have one for when I turn 40. I guess I should make one for before I turn 50!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen, I always appreciate your posts. But this one seems even more thoughtful than the norm. Thanks for sharing!

    Having a lot of experience now of being in my forties, I can look back at my thirties and feel safe in saying that they were the most significant 10 years of my life, for a lot of reasons that parallel yours. I'll post my own 13 later when I get some time to write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what they say about losing a parent. My mom lost both her parents in the same year a few years back but she still longs for them up to this day.

    I had a baby when I was 27 and still have the baby weight 5 years after. Yeah, I hate myself for it!

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you've gone through some interesting things in your thirties. I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your father. I've always thought when one of my parents die that I would probably never be the same again. I speak to them everyday and the thought of them not being around is devestating. But it seems you got your mom back- give thanks to that and hold on tight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list Jen. Lots of great firsts in there. Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fear not 40! It's GREAT! I promise! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great list! Sorry about your Dad but am happy that you and your Mom have reconnected. Happy TT and thanks for stopping by and commenting at my place.

    Happy Early 40th birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a cool list. Happy birthday in advance. I hope your 40's are exciting as your 30s. Sorry about your Dad. I lost mine when I was a mere 27. I still miss him every day as well. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! You have accomplished a lot of wonderful things in the past decade! Happy early birthday to you....

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As I read your post, I remembered each of those fun, painful, celebratory, difficult, laughter-filled, crappy, loving events--and I'm so proud of you that you chose to learn and grow from them all.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list, lady. A lot of things to be proud of and ponder going on to the next decade. I'm right behind you... I know our 40s are going be just fab.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday! Great idea for a post.
    Pretty amazing to see how much can happen in a decade, most that you wouldn't have been able to predict when you were 20.

    ReplyDelete
  17. excellent list! i might just have to steal your idea! ;) thanks for visiting my tt :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday!

    I understand about needing the parents. I always need mine everyday and I'm so blessed they're always there for me. i couldn't imagine life without them.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails