Sep. 13: Our new family member

Not that I don’t appreciate Sherilee’s willingness to ship me the owl that’s been keeping her awake, but we’ve decided the best way to solve our mouse problem is with a cat. Vic and I both have a great fear that the mouse problem is a complete infestation, when it really could be just a tiny little one-time thing. But when I jokingly suggested we get a cat (he’s allergic) and he seriously replied that it was a good idea, I jumped on it. I guess we’ll be keeping Claritin manufacturers in business for Kitty’s lifetime.

Yesterday the kids and I went to Multnomah County Animal Control and picked out a sweet little girl. She’s being spayed so we’ll bring her home on Tuesday. This is the adoption photo they gave us:



Not a great pic, so to give you a better idea of what she looks like, her coloring and markings are very similar to this fat kitty:



Now we’re trying to agree on a name. Vic cares not even a tiny bit and says he’ll call her “Cat” no matter what we name her. Jack thinks she should have a Star Wars name. Katie’s suggestions so far have been adding “ie” to the end of whatever cat-related words she thinks of. So apparently, making a list of possible names has fallen on my shoulders. I want something that implies bravery and good mouse-catching skills so that Kitty knows the job for which we’ve brought her into our family. Also something to make sure she understands she should properly dispose of the mice she catches because we don’t really need to see them. And that she shouldn’t claw the furniture or jump on the counters or pee on stuff or torment the dogs. Suggestions for a name that conveys all of these things are welcome.

5 comments:

  1. That kittie is absolutely adorable. Hope she helps you with your mouse problem... a name huh?

    I never got to pick those - my dad always won out - so I'd throw out "princess" or "snowflake" or whatever lame name like that but the cat would end up with names like "fluff face" or "fuzz ball" seriously. Mouse Trap? Trappie? hahah - Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about "Run-for-your-life-because-Casey-is-going-to-kill-you . . .ie Manullang"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, well, glad to know I'm not going to have to trap the owl and deliver him/her to Portland! I love knowing the hoot-er is around, maybe not at 2 a.m., but most any other time!

    And, your new little one is very sweet. Reminds me of a couple of cats I've had--Katy (obviously you'll not be calling her that!) and Nebuchadnezzar (for the grass eating).

    Anyway, on to some productive ideas... I like the idea of naming her toward your mouser goals... so big cat names came to mind... Bobcat, Panther, Leopard, Ocelot (for the obscure!), tho not so looky likey... what about Lioness? Then Katie can call her Nessie... maybe a bit too Loch Ness? Hmmm. There's always Hunter or Killer. Pounce?

    I am also a fan of the whole name-after-a-celebrity thing, like the dog named Paul Anka on Gilmore Girls... we have neighbors who name all pets after rock stars--they have Sting the cat right now, I think. But I'm a little at a loss on how that would translate in a mouse-eating kind of way... Oh dear, I just thought of Richard Gere.

    And on that wildly inappropriate-for-family-viewing note, I'm off to bed. If you block me from posting comments in the future, I'll understand.

    Happy naming!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails