Sep. 1: Live long and prosper

Once upon a time my husband dragged me, Jim, and April to Star Trek: The Experience in Las Vegas. We could see the Las Vegas Hilton from the Strip and opted to walk to the hotel, not realizing that it was actually 118.3 miles from where we started. By the time we arrived at the Hilton four hours later, we complained about our feet hurting and being thirsty and hungry and tired and not interested in a nerd show (I say “we” but it might actually have just been “me”).

Because besides the little bonus of being able to mock other visitors, I did not have any interest in walking through the Star Trek historical timeline or eating at the Borg café or having my picture taken with Dorf or Whorf or whoever that guy is whose forehead looks like a scrotum. I was ready to go about five minutes after we got there. Vic finally agreed to leave after listening to me whine for two hours but says he could have stayed until closing. Oh, how that frightens me to this day.

It was probably the most bored I have ever been on vacation. Ever.

I am not a Star Trek fan. I never have been. Yeah, I’ve seen episodes of each series—but only that last one because Scott Bakula had a Beagle—and know the basic premise and main characters. But I’m not psychotic. In fact, like many normal folk I take great delight in making fun of the people that wear the Spock ears and know every detail of every episode that ever existed and attend conventions and write fan-fic and know what the “T” in James T. Kirk is for and argue over who was the better captain, Kirk or Picard. Ack, I say. Ack.

Star Trek: The Experience closed today after what they call a successful 10-year run. Vic found this article and read it aloud to me this morning, thinking it would prove that he is not as weird as he could be. I have to admit, I am a little relieved. Here’s my favorite part of the article:

[A couple] from Easton, Pennsylvania had planned to renew their wedding vows at the Experience on their 10th anniversary but came this week instead, four years early. A Federation captain told them during the ceremony on the bridge of the Enterprise that the energy between them created their love. “He had his own schtick, and it was very beautiful, and it actually made the moment even that much better,” said [husband], 39, still holding his wife’s hand outside the gift shop. “It wasn’t simply being on the bridge, it really felt very emotional.”

Khan Almighty, I could have married so much worse.

2 comments:

  1. Tiberius.

    Kirk vs. Picard?
    Sisko is better than either.

    Yes, be afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiberius.

    Kirk vs. Picard?
    Sisko is better than either.

    Yes, be afraid.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails