Dec. 28: “Nanny Returns”

nannyreturns Today I finished reading “Nanny Returns,” the brand new sequel to “The Nanny Diaries,” by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus. I read “The Nanny Diaries” when it came out in 2002 and really enjoyed it, one of the few “chick lit” books about which I can say that. I am not a lover of that genre.

I am a lover, however, of the characters in these two books, and I liked this sequel very much. I love Nan, her parents and friends are realistic, and her grandma is a hoot.

“Nanny Returns” begins 12 years after Nan has been fired by Mrs. X. She has since married, gotten her masters degree, and moved into a fixer-upper in New York City. Through a series of coincidences, she gets involved with the X family again, as well as a new batch of Mrs. X-like moms. The stories of excess are amusing. The ridiculous expectations put on hired help is sad and hilarious at the same time. Totally reminds me of my own life. Ha.

One of the things that frustrated me about the first book was how Nan never really took the chance to tell off Mrs. X like she wanted to. I mean, YES, she screamed at the teddy bear camera but not with the intention of Mrs. X ever seeing it. The sequel, on the other hand, didn’t end like I expected it to, but it wasn’t disappointing either. There was definitely some maturity in Nan between the two books.

One complaint I have about some novels (movies too, actually) is when they try to make lots and lots happen, as though there has to be action at all times. Stuff like this:

  • I finally have a date with that guy!  . . . . . . . . . . . .  Oh no, my car broke down.
  • I have to get to my very important meeting on time!  . . . . . . . . . . . .  This emergency phone call can’t wait.
  • I have the perfect dress for this occasion!  . . . . . . . . . . . .  I fell in mud.
  • My best friend is finally coming to visit!  . . . . . . . . . . . .  I have to work.

Oh, I know that stuff happens; it just doesn’t happen every single time every single person on earth does those things. Sometimes plans get carried out and sometimes they even go as we expect them to. Not everything is interrupted by emergencies or bad things happening in spite of best intentions.

Books like this keep me in panic mode, and I resent them for it—I can’t just relax and read because I’m on edge over whether or not ANYTHING will go the way the main character deserves. It just seems so unfair.

“Nanny Returns” was on the verge of this. It seemed like there were a lot of cliffhanger chapter endings; some big, some small. The cliffhangers weren’t so excessive that they kept me from enjoying the book, though—I’ve read much worse. But if that kind of thing bugs you like it does me, there’s your warning.

It’s been seven years since I read “The Nanny Diaries,” and I didn’t see the movie so I don’t know how that compared. But from what I remember of the first book, if you enjoyed it, you’ll probably like “Nanny Returns” as much or more. I was kinda bummed to finish it today.

blogsignature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails