Dec. 31: 2009 in review

It’s time for an end of the year meme.

  1. 2009pic What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
    Shaved my head.
  2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
    I didn’t make any 2009 resolutions, and probably won’t make any for 2010 either.
  3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
    Several friends.
  4. Did anyone close to you die?
    No.
  5. What countries did you visit?
    This year, just the one in which I live.
  6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
    A good vacation. A real one, I mean.
  7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
    Lots. The big one, though, will be the date of my cancer diagnosis: Nov. 27.
  8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
    Not killing anyone.
  9. What was your biggest failure?
    Apparently, walking upright without tripping and landing on my face.
  10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
    Ha! You’re new here, arentcha?
  11. What was the best thing you bought?
    Probably my iPhone.
  12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
    Mine. Remember, I didn’t kill anyone this year.
  13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
    My doctor’s.
  14. Where did most of your money go?
    iPhone accessories and apps. smiley
  15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
    Seeing David Sedaris TWICE. Seeing Wicked TWICE. Seeing Topol in Fiddler on the Roof.
  16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
    “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on it)” by Beyonce.
  17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?
    a. Happier. Always happier.
    b. Thinner, but only a little bit.
    c. Neither.
  18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
    Traveling.
  19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
    Staying home.
  20. How did you spend Christmas?
    With family. It was lovely.
  21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
    Not with anyone new.
  22. What was your favorite TV program?
    Probably 30 Rock.
  23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
    My doctor.
  24. What was the best book you read?
    Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen
  25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
    Duh! My nephew’s band, The Rouge. Their CD came out in June. They’ve got a big signing with a big record company coming up, and BELIEVE ME, you’re gonna get tired of hearing about them.
  26. What did you want and get?
    An answer to the reason for my back pain.
  27. What did you want and not get?
    An answer to the reason for my back pain that will not potentially kill me.
  28. What was your favorite film of this year?
    Up
  29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
    I turned 41 on September 18. Worked a little, met Random Sunshine for coffee where she showered me with treasures, spent the evening chasing a drunk friend down in the dark. Laughed a LOT.
  30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
    A vacation. Probably not getting cancer too.
  31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
    “Keep the ugliest parts covered.”
  32. What kept you sane?
    Aforementioned family and friends.
  33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
    It’s a tie between Justin Timberlake, Alec Baldwin, David Letterman, and George Clooney.
  34. What political issue stirred you the most?
    Don’t get me started.
  35. Who did you miss?
    My dad. Always.
  36. Who was the best new person you met?
    Random Sunshine!
  37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
    Listen to your body, no matter what your doctor says.
  38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
    The Beatles’ Let it Be.

    When I find myself in times of trouble
    Mother Mary comes to me
    Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
    And in my hour of darkness
    She is standing right in front of me
    Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.

    (Thanks, Mom!)

blogsignature

4 comments:

  1. # What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
    1. Stayed with my daughter for 3 weeks!! (I fulfilled Vic's greatest nightmare!)
    # Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
    I didn’t make any 2009 resolutions, and probably won’t make any for 2010 either.
    # Did anyone close to you give birth?
    Only to puppies!
    # Did anyone close to you die?
    No.
    # What countries did you visit?
    Only the countryside outside of Medford
    # What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
    A cancer-free daughter
    # What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
    Nov. 27--when Jen was diagnosed with lymphoma
    # What was your biggest achievement of the year?
    Dropping my treadmill on my nose and not breaking it--my nose, that is....
    # What was your biggest failure?
    I'm in denial about my failures
    # Did you suffer illness or injury?
    Healthy as a horse!
    # What was the best thing you bought?
    Tickets to great plays!
    # Whose behavior merited celebration?
    Mine! (I'm still in denial)
    # Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
    Denial reigns.
    # Where did most of your money go?
    Decorating my bedroom
    # What did you get really, really, really excited about?
    Seeing David Sedaris and Wicked with its original stars!!
    # What song will always remind you of 2009?
    Anything from the Rouge!
    # Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?
    a. Sadder
    b. thinner
    c. about the same
    # What do you wish you’d done more of?
    Traveling.
    # What do you wish you’d done less of?
    Staying home.
    # How did you spend Christmas?
    With family. It was great!
    # Did you fall in love in 2009?
    Over and over and over again....
    # What was your favorite TV program?
    I watch very little TV--my addiction is to my DVD collection
    # Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
    That takes too much energy.
    # What was the best book you read?
    How to Know God by Deepak Chopra
    # What was your greatest musical discovery?
    Your ignorance is showing if you have to ask--The Rouge, of course. MY GRANDSON IS THE DRUMMER!!!
    # What did you want and get?
    A good creative writing class.
    # What did you want and not get?
    A doctor that would listen to my daughter's complaints right away instead of months after a tumor developed!!
    # What was your favorite film of this year?
    Julie and Julia
    # What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
    I don't remember the activity OR the age--at my age selective memory loss comes in handy.
    # What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
    My daughter not having cancer
    # How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
    "Creatively hide the wrinkles."
    # What kept you sane?
    People who care
    # Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
    Witnessing the dignity of the Obama family at the Inauguration.
    # What political issue stirred you the most?
    Where do I begin....
    # Who did you miss?
    A telemarketer who kept trying to reach me....
    # Who was the best new person you met?
    Penny
    # Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
    Live in the moment--but sometimes it sucks!
    # Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
    Jen WILL Defy Gravity!! OK, so it's not straight out of a song. But Elphaba did it and so will Jen!! I love you, Sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got the biggest laugh from your last answer with the Beatles lyrics. Hooted, more like. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be great to watch Fiddler On The Roof, i have bought tickets from
    http://ticketfront.com/event/Fiddler_On_The_Roof-tickets looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails