Sep. 12: Ooooh, fuuuuuuuuudge

It’s Day #12 of our September Blog Challenge. When Sherilee and I created the list of topics, she made several recipe days, which I thought was a good idea at the time. Then I realized that I don’t often have recipes to share, and this made some extra work for me. Pffftt.

I’m totally taking back the many thousands of gold stars I awarded her for using so many photos in her post the other day.

goldstar

Soooo… I dug around in the collection of recipes I’ve saved and decided to try the one for chocolate sauce. I first saw the recipe on epicurious, but as I set out to make it the other night, I tweaked the ingredients a bit, as I am wont to do. What’s the rule about changing a recipe? Something like “if you change two things, it becomes yours”? No? If this is mine now, then I hereby present you with the recipe for…


Chocklity Chocklit Sauce

(Otherwise, call it Hot Fudge Sauce from Gourmet Magazine, but with a bunch of changes by Jen)

Ingredients

  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • This is an actual photo I took of the actual sauce I made. I didn't forget to take a picture! Where are MY gold stars, hm???½ cup organic extra-virgin coconut oil
  • ½ cup light corn syrup
  • ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
  • ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Directions

  1. Combine ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk gently until blended.
  2. Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly.
  3. Reduce heat and continue low boil for five minutes, stirring occasionally. (The boil is important; finished sauce will be gritty if the sugar is not dissolved, and that’s just gross.)
  4. Remove from heat and let cool. Store in a tightly-sealed glass jar in refrigerator.

Jen’s Notes

  • Serve warm over ice cream or cake or brownies or gooey butter cake, or just eat it by the spoonful. I won’t judge.
  • Heat single servings approximately 15 seconds in microwave.
  • The original recipe said this would keep for up to a week. See if it even lasts that long! This stuff is goooood.
  • Substitute bittersweet for semi-sweet chocolate if you prefer.
  • The original recipe called for a teaspoon of salt. I forgot to add it, but enjoyed the finished product so much, I don’t think the salt is really necessary.
  • The coconut oil adds an ever-so-slight coconut flavor to the sauce. If you don’t like the flavor of coconut, then leave that out and also, what is wrong with you, coconut-hater?

Enjoy, Ralphie.


If you’re a blogger and want to do our blog challenge with us, let me know and I’ll send you our list! Otherwise, tune in here (and on Sherilee’s happy little blog) every day in September.

blogsig

2 comments:

  1. Oh! Yum. Will give that a try, definitely.

    And, you can't take back gold stars. Everybody knows that! Pffffft back at you.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks very good. The photo looks very appealing.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails