It’s Day #20 of the September Blog Challenge. Ten more days left! Today’s topic:
What is your favorite holiday and the traditions you celebrate?
As much as I love that Christmas is an entire season long, with all the décor, music, cards from old friends, and gift-giving, I’d have to say that Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday.
Why I love Thanksgiving
- All the great food! I’m not a huge turkey fan, and I don’t like to be the one in charge of preparing it (their wings really creep me out, even more than finding the gross organs inside), but a traditional turkey dinner is all kinds o’ awesome.
- No pressure of exchanging gifts.
- We usually spend the day with people we like.
- It’s one of two days of the year (the other being Super Bowl Sunday) that I actually like the sound of football going all day long.
- The reminder and opportunity to express our gratitude for what we have in our lives. I especially love to hear what my kids are grateful for—funny, it’s NEVER each other.
- I get to start decorating for Christmas the next day. Yay!
- Did I mention the mashed potatoes?
What I don’t like about Thanksgiving
- Vic almost always has to work the day after Thanksgiving. Boo.
- Black Friday. I haaaaate Black Friday, except for it being a good excuse not to leave the house AND to eat all the good leftovers before Vic gets home from work.
- By Sunday, another turkey sandwich meal is most unappealing.
- Our family doesn’t really have any traditions for this holiday. Why is that??? It seems every year we’re with different people, sometimes at our house and sometimes theirs, and although the turkey dinner is somewhat constant, almost nothing else is. I don’t know if I ever realized that until just now. Soooo… let’s say our Thanksgiving tradition is that we don’t have a tradition. Yeah. That works.
What about you? What’s your favorite holiday and what traditions do you celebrate when it comes around each year?
If you’re a blogger and want to do our blog challenge with us, let me know and I’ll send you our list! Otherwise, tune in here (and on Sherilee’s happy little blog) every day in September.