Mar. 14: Smitten

The other day I told you about our new washer and dryer. The ones Michael Beach thoughtfully and celebrity-like installed for me, remember?

Thank you for your comments. They have reassured me that I made a good choice with front loading machines. I was panicked, so I am appreciative of your virtual hand-patting.

I love them. I absolutely do. They are as perfect as perfect can be.

When we got everything all set up we both sat and watched the first load of wash. I was—and still am—more than a little bit skeptical because it looks like the clothes are barely wet and just being tossed back and forth. No agitating. No swishing. I like swishing; it makes me feel like my clothes are getting clean. It also, of course, roughs them up and makes them look old before they are. I know because that’s what the commercials tell me. I’m not saying the lack of agitation and swishing-ness is bad, but it will definitely take some getting used to.

The kids ran in and said “Cool!” and ran back out. After a few minutes I was equally unimpressed and left. Vic stayed to watch the show. He gave it a thumbs-up at the end, but I think he might have slept through the last half.

The dryer dried the clothes and I loved that. Our old dryer hadn’t been working for the past couple months. I hang dry a lot of my clothes, so it didn’t thin out my wardrobe much. But for everything else we were using the dryer at Vic’s parents’ house and that wasn’t so convenient. So it’s possible I love the dryer just because it is a dryer and it works and it’s in my house, not because it’s fabulous necessarily.

Oh, but I haven’t even told you the best part! One of my favorite things about the new washer and dryer, possibly more favorite than anything else, is that we decided to stack them. This gives us a lot more space in our very small laundry room, at least enough for a small table we can use for folding. So far everyone I’ve mentioned this to has responded more enthusiastically than expected; clearly these people have used our laundry room.

I know, I know, the best part is that the new appliances are more energy-efficient and conserve water and use less detergent and therefore are more environmentally friendly and I should feel all Al Gore. Honestly? I just likes ‘em cuz they’re priddy.

OK, no more posts about my washer and dryer. I promise.

4 comments:

  1. We got a new front-load washer a year or so ago. Has been great - although the spin cycle shakes our house. Does yours? After a cycle, sometimes the whole machine moves across the laundry room - freaky...

    ReplyDelete
  2. AJ, ours sounds like a jet is flying very close to our house. You get used to it, though.

    Jen, we had to stack ours, because the laundry was not built the correct size. The door wouldn't shut with the old side-by-side set we had. It leaves so much room having them stacked. Now I have a cart with sorting bags and a hanger bar in there. Very convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. April, our old washer shook our whole house but after talking to the neighbors, who all had the shaky-shakies, we concluded that it was the construction of the houses and not our washers. But if your old one didn't do it and your new one does, I don't know... that's weird. Did you buy it at the haunted appliances store? Cuz that might be yer answer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila,

    Wha-at??? A friggin' JET???

    Ours seems loud too, but not any louder than our old ones. I don't hear the washer change cycles like before, and it doesn't shake the house when it spins. So overall I'm alright with the new set.

    If your washer sounds like a jet, then shouldn't your "hanger bar" be a "hangar bar"? Oh ba ha ha, I'm so funny, how can you stand me?

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails