Dec. 19: My darling Clementines

I’m doing almost no holiday cooking this year. I mean, not special stuff, like baking. I don’t know how that happened this year but I’m not lamenting this. So far it doesn’t feel like anything’s really missing, partly because the Delightful Dawn showered us with a yummy holiday cookie plate earlier this week.

In the middle of this cookie plate were a bunch of Cuties, also known as Clementines. Some people call them (incorrectly) tangerines or tangelos or mandarin oranges. According to the Cuties web site, they are a hybrid fruit—a cross between a sweet orange and a Chinese mandarin. And let me tell you, I don’t eat them very often, but when I do, I can’t stop! Somehow every year I forget how much I enjoyed them the year before. Dawn put five or six Cuties on our cookie plate, and after I gobbled them up, I sent Victor out for more. And two days later, they’re long gone. And I want more and more and more.

Oh, and I almost forgot… Last night I made fudge. This doesn’t count as cooking or baking because the recipe requires so little effort. But if you want a pretty tasty fudge, here’s one I can recommend.

Fudge

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup peanut butter chips
1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup butter
1 cup chopped walnuts (if desired)

  1. Melt butter and chips and milk together, then stir in nuts.
  2. Pour into well-greased dish.
  3. Refrigerate immediately to set.

Ideally you’d use good chocolate and all that stuff, but that means a trip to Williams-Sonoma or somewhere equally inconvenient. Also, this recipe is often touted as microwaveable, but if you’ve ever tried to melt chocolate in a microwave without scorching it, you know why that’s a bad idea. I recommend using a saucepan or a double boiler.

Can a fruit and candy critique pass for my good Christmas deed? That would be awesome, thanks.

4 comments:

  1. Yum-o. That fudge sounds good and a much simpler version than some nutty boil-til-soft-ball-stage recipe I have tried in the past! Will be making that soon--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. That certainly does qualify as holiday baking, imho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love clementines - I actually just discovered them last year and YUMMY!

    I have only ever made fudge using the recipe on Fluff containers and boy did it get messy! haha but oh-so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love clementines - I actually just discovered them last year and YUMMY!

    I have only ever made fudge using the recipe on Fluff containers and boy did it get messy! haha but oh-so tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails