Dec. 6: No point, really

Although I love so many things about this time of year, I have one small gripe, and I’m betting that others share it. See if you can guess what it is by looking at Jen & Vic’s Annual Christmastime To-Do Lists:

JEN’S RESPONSIBILITIES

  1. Generate list of Christmas card recipients
  2. Get updated addresses for Christmas card recipients
  3. Coordinate opportunities for family photo-taking for card
  4. Decide on photos to use for Christmas card
  5. Design and order Christmas cards
  6. Write Christmas letter
  7. Address Christmas card envelopes
  8. Stamp and seal Christmas card envelopes
  9. Collect gift ideas for family and friends
  10. Make list of gifts we’re giving to family and friends
  11. Browse catalogs and store ads for the hard-to-buy-for people
  12. Shop online and locally for gifts
  13. Wrap gifts
  14. Package and ship gifts
  15. Schedule get-togethers with family for gift exchanges
  16. Plan menus for get-togethers if necessary
  17. Record gifts received as they’re opened
  18. Write thank-you notes

VIC’S RESPONSIBILITIESY

  1. Decide on a gift for his dad

(Wellington is impossible to buy for, and Vic will be the first one to admit I usually end up deciding on what to give him. If it were up to Vic he’d still be giving Starbucks gift sets to everyone, like he did before we were married—a perfectly fine gift, just not the most personal or thoughtful.)

One thing we’ve added to our lists in recent years is the creation of the Christmas CDs we send to about half the recipients of our Christmas cards. Although I do the music selection, create the final playlist, and design the label/packaging, Vic usually ends up burning the CDs for me—that’s a time-consuming task, and I’m grateful for his help.

And I guess that really gets down to the pointlessness of my complaining: I really do enjoy doing most of the things on my list. They stress me out, some years more than others, but it’s so much a part of the season now that if I were to put any less effort into making Christmas happen for our family, I think I’d feel like a failure.

So instead of griping about the imbalance of responsibility this time of year, I’ll ask for gift ideas for Wellington. Yeah. Let’s say that’s the point of my post, mmkay? What do we get for my father-in-law, who has everything? And what he doesn’t have, he buys for himself? And whose birthday is December 10 so if we could think of something we’d probably give it to him for his birthday and would still need to think of a Christmas gift? Which reminds me, we haven’t gotten a birthday gift for him yet. Dammit.

…and now I’m asking for TWO gift ideas...

6 comments:

  1. I am tired just reading your list. I know all these things will need to be done, but seeing them all laid out like that is a tad overwhelming. I think I'll just go back to staring at the tree now in a Christmas stupor.

    FYI, I have 3 "Wellington" men in my family... it's a constant challenge to figure out the gifting thing... I feel for you. Do you feel for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Sher, I feel for ya. We used to have more of those on our list too, until they died (sad) or got dumped (heh heh).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh, change Jen to Chris and completely cross out Vic's (Bryan's) responsibility and you've got my everyday life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah women seriously get the short end of the stick in that regard. That list does look exhausting, especially when thinking of all that I've done or not yet done on there. Ugh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say Vic's got it down to an art form. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah women seriously get the short end of the stick in that regard. That list does look exhausting, especially when thinking of all that I've done or not yet done on there. Ugh...

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails