Feb. 17: Bad parental behavior

The following thoughts are brought to you by a particularly exasperating hour in my recent past, the letter ‘S’ and a generous grant by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. Or maybe not those last two things.

When I was little, I remember thinking that my parents could get along with any of my friends’ parents because parents always get along with other parents. They have their kids in common and they’re grown-ups, so that automatically makes them friends, right?

Then I became a parent.

Victor and I have been lucky; we like most of the other parents we’ve met and can easily endure a couple hours together at birthday parties or school functions. There are some parents we like better than others, for sure, and I admit to subtly nudging my kids in certain directions: “Jack, Blaine is a cool kid—you should be BFF’s with him!” and “Katie, why don’t we invite Sophie’s family over?” But both of our kids are approaching an age where our approval of their friends isn’t necessary. We’re bound to run into some parents that we really dislike, that we really DON’T want to hang with, that make us so uncomfortable, we don’t want our kids going to their houses. Like that one girl, whose dad does the creepy staring-at-the-moms thing? Well, “[the girl] is nice but um… she lives too far away and um… I don’t have her mom’s phone number and um… let’s call Sophie instead!”

A couple years ago there was a helicopter mom I used to have to deal with during class parties and field trips—she was always willing to volunteer, for which I was appreciative, but the woman drove me insane. An example? She brought apples to the Valentine’s Day party “because the kids have enough candy” and then got mad when she had only managed to get rid of a few slices but had cut up, like, 15 whole apples. She told me over and over that she never let her kids have candy at home and they only drank water, never juice or (god forbid!) pop, etc. Every time I had to be around her I wanted to punch her square in the face by the end of the day.

Petty, Jen? Oh, most certainly!

But I never punched that helicopter mom. Really! I never punched her because I’m so mature ‘n stuff. Also, she’s at a different school now so I’ve lost the urge.

I’ve figured out (remember, because I’m so mature ‘n stuff) that our reasons for liking or disliking people as adults aren’t all that different from the reasons we liked or disliked people as kids. “She’s a flake” is the old “she won’t share.” “He never shuts up at meetings” was once “he brings weird stuff in his lunch.” “She’s a glory-seeker” used to be “her backpack smells like cats.”

I think the biggest difference is that, as adults, we’re supposed to hide our dislike for (or frustration with) other parents as much as we can. COUGH COUGH, right? Because sometimes it’s very difficult to hide it, even for the sake of our kids. In fact, sometimes that dislike or frustration turns us into bratty kids again. Sometimes we are terrible, terrible examples for our children and kinda suck at being very adult about anything at all.

And sometimes we’re just glad to know other adults who share our dislike and/or frustration so that we can vent a little with each other and then deal with the situation in a grown-up way. And for those adults in my life, I am so very, very grateful. smiley

blogsignature

13 comments:

  1. Gosh, this post just seems so out of the blue. Where in the world did this topic come from? lol
    Please tell me I wasn't the helicopter mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed really loud and scared the dog when I got to the, "her backpack smells like cats" bit. I mean I laughed all the way through, but dang, that went up a notch right there.

    And WOW...I too feel like this came so completely out of the blue. SYKE! Yep...not even a little. I.gets.it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great. i forgot to wear my depends today. i should never EVER EVER read your blogs without protection.

    silly girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure I suck at being a grown-up in many (if not most) cases, myself. I stop short of being a helicopter parent. I hate it when they get in and do the hands-on activities for their children in class, instead of letting the kids figure things out--and possibly learn-for themselves. I thought that's what the point of the exercise was, but pardon me if I didn't understand. {Insert eye roll here}. ShevyX.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "horror" in relationships that I remember most was when you were in kindergarten. The two sessions had different teachers and they disliked each other so much they wouldn't even speak! At the end of the school year, I had a luncheon for the Kindergarten Committee and, of course, the two teachers. They sat through the meal without speaking to one another!!

    I'm still friends with some of the parents--well, those I liked!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow....hmmmm....really.... This is truly how you feel? I am so surprised at your attitude! Not sure if I should let Jayson play with Jack anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori N.L., you were definitely not the helicopter mom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too funny! I once brought the fruit to a party at school. Hey! it was at your school, and it was apples! Lots of them. And, I'm not at your school anymore. God, I hope I wasn't the same mom...
    Was I?
    I hate helicopters.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes, I didn't mean to make anyone nervous!! Jenny, you're not the helicopter mom either. I promise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not nervous! I know you love us and we love you guys, too! :-D
    I remember when Sophie was in pre-school and the moms of all the girls made me cringe. I remember wishing Sophie was a boy because the boy's moms were so much better. Anyway, love it. All so true.
    (BTW, a few times when Nate was still with us, I experienced some real fun interactions with high school parents-- it gets worse!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes, I didn't mean to make anyone nervous!! Jenny, you're not the helicopter mom either. I promise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The "horror" in relationships that I remember most was when you were in kindergarten. The two sessions had different teachers and they disliked each other so much they wouldn't even speak! At the end of the school year, I had a luncheon for the Kindergarten Committee and, of course, the two teachers. They sat through the meal without speaking to one another!!

    I'm still friends with some of the parents--well, those I liked!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow....hmmmm....really.... This is truly how you feel? I am so surprised at your attitude! Not sure if I should let Jayson play with Jack anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails