Feb. 24: Chemo #5 (updated)

I have the best friends in the whole world, I tell ya what. Yesterday Lisa Ross Nicholson and April Knudson Jordan, two friends from high school, joined us in the infusion room to watch me get poisoned. I think they were there to cheer me on, not the poisoning part, because they came bearing hugs and other treats that made it seem like they like me. That’s what I choose to believe, anyway.

Lisa arrived first with a goody bag of trashy magazines and a small grocery store. She had tons of candy, potato chips and Chex mix, and these blueberry pomegranate granola pistachio I-don’t-know-what nuggets that were scrum-dilly-umptious. Lisa knows how to treat a cancer girl right. The magazines kept us occupied, and we are totally up-to-date now on Tiger’s infidelities, the Olympics, how to touch a naked man (thank you, Cosmo), Celine Dion’s infertility problems, and Carrie Underwood’s engagement to that Neanderthal-looking hockey player. Ask us anything.

April’s bags were also cram-packed with delightful items. Having just returned from a weekend at the Olympic games, she had goofy Canadian candy treats as far as my hands could reach. Canadian Pop Rocks (Power Poppers), Maynards Juicy Squirts Sours, Wonka Tinglerz (we thought these sounded like chocolate covered Pop Rocks because the package says “poppin’ tinglin’ chocolate candy,” but they were actually Nestle Crunch things—still good, but not exactly tingly), and Smarties—the M&M kind. I’d never tasted the Canadian Smarties, and while I like the color varieties, the candy-to-chocolate ratio is enough different than M&Ms that I didn’t think they were better, necessarily, just different. Still totally edible, of course. OF COURSE.

April had also made a recent trip to Seattle’s Archie McPhee, one of the coolest stores EVER, and here’s what she got for me there: Bacon Balm (bacon flavored lip balm), Bacon Flavored Toothpicks, Cupcake Mints (frosting flavored!), and best of all: HANDERPANTS! I finally have Handerpants! In case you didn’t know, Handerpants are just about the coolest thing EVER. I don’t know why; they just are. And that’s what I was wearing under my awesome Olympics mittens in my last post—so sorry to disappoint you, Sherilee—nothing bling-ier than that. smiley

These are Handerpants. Why? Just cuz.

And, of course, the big surprise was my Olympics mittens. Sooo cool, that April girl. Because I just can’t resist showing them off and I’ll use any excuse to make you jealous, here’s the photo again:

I know you're jealous.

Just as I got unhooked from my IV and we were ready to leave, April’s mom came in to say hello. It was a nice little surprise to see her too! We crowded up the chemo room right good, yes we did.

It makes me more than a little bit teary to think of all my friends have done for me during this time. I am so appreciative of you all and I hope surviving cancer is enough to let you see how much you have helped and how much I love you right back. I do!

OK, now on to the boring medical stuff…

My blood work “looked great” as usual, according to Dr. O, and she said everything is progressing exactly as we had hoped. The rash on my neck and chest went away and came back, but there’s little concern. I don’t like it but at least it doesn’t bother me, except for looking like I might have chicken pox or possibly bad, localized acne. Pffft.

The next item on my cancer calendar is a CT scan of OJ on March 11 to see if he’s still hanging around. The interpretation of the scan will determine if I go for a seventh and eighth chemotherapy treatment. If not, #6 on March 16 will be my last one. I’ll be glad when I’m finished, but I want it to be because OJ’s totally gone, so if I have to continue on for a bit with chemo, I’m alright with that.

I start physical therapy next Monday in hopes of re-strengthening my back muscles that have suffered greatly in the past year. If they suggested hours of hot tub therapy I would not complain a bit. In fact, I might have to ask if that’s a thing. It should totally be a thing.

That’s it on the cancer front. I’m still having a bit of a rough go energy-wise, but on my best days I’m able to get out of the house for a few hours if I absolutely must. Otherwise I’m sticking close to my comfy-cozy critter-covered bed with good books or Law & Order marathons. Those marathons are always calling my name, you know. You hear it too, right?

 

UPDATED

April emailed a couple chemo day photos. I’ll add Lisa’s here when she sends ‘em.

IV Pole Dancin' girls, Lisa-Jen-Ape
The IV Pole Dancin’ Girls—Lisa, Jen and April

 Jen and Vic
Eyebrow-less Me and Victor, with the very cool bag April brought back from Vancouver for me (filled with Canadian treats and Archie McPhee goodies!!). I love how my gigantic bicep is so… gigantic.

blogsignature

4 comments:

  1. Those mittens are slammin' - they look nice and cozy almost as cool as the handerpants! Those are some nice friends you have! Crossing my fingers for you for the next OJ report. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun hanging out with the girls and that guy who got us lunch :). Hopefully next time we can all hang out..it will be cancer free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great to finally catch up on your chemo report! And Handerpants are right up there with bling, really. How very cool.

    I'm going to try and not take offense to the word "goofy" in front of Canadian treats. Whatev. We're used to being mocked, I suppose.

    I hope your next report shows further great reduction in the OJ department. Either way, I'm up for a visit... chemo duty or shopping, I'll take what you've got!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That chemo session sounded great! I am so jealous. Almost makes me want to go through chemo again. Who do I know around here that can party like that? You west-coast girls have it made. ****. ShevyX.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails