May 10: Proflowers sucks

On Friday I placed an order with Proflowers.com to have flowers delivered to my mom on Mother’s Day. I’ve used Proflowers for years—I like their selection of arrangements, and they have lots of additional gifts available too. I don’t know if they offer anything different than other online floral delivery services, but I’ve always been happy with them, so I continue to place orders.

Not anymore.

Yesterday we were on the go until mid-afternoon, and when I finally got a chance to call my mom I was so tired, I opted for a nap instead. I know she understands, and she would have already received the flowers so she would know we were thinking of her on Mother’s Day even if I didn’t call until evening. When I woke up, there was this email from Proflowers waiting for me:

Sun 5/9/2010 5:00 PM

Thank you for your recent order.  Unfortunately, we were unable to locate a florist able to complete the delivery on the intended date.  With your permission, we would be happy to send the delivery on Monday, with a back up of Tuesday, to include a note of apology explaining the delay.  Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Please contact customer service to let us know how best to proceed as we would like to rectify the situation to your complete satisfaction.  Thank you!

I was PISSED. Proflowers made me look like a rotten daughter. Their suggestion to deliver Monday (IF THEY COULD!) was ridiculous—sure, it completes my order, but isn’t the point of Mother’s Day flowers that they are received on Mother’s Day?

Immediately after reading the email, I called Mom and apologized. We talked for an hour or so, a conversation in which she told me several times to make sure I was NOT charged for the order, and I repeatedly assured her that no matter what Kathy says, I am still the better daughter. As soon as we hung up, I emailed Proflowers’ customer service and told them exactly what they could do with their service. Actually, I was civil and used no profanity, so YAY for Jen’s restraint! Right?

This morning I received a form letter that basically said they’d canceled my order as I requested and look forward to serving me again. Yeah, right. That’ll happen.

If I had received their message Saturday, or even Sunday morning, I would’ve been frustrated but still able to figure out another way to get a gift to Mom ON Mother’s Day. I realize this is one of the busiest holidays for florists, and that Sunday deliveries are a pain in the ass, but I also think that, having placed my order on Friday morning, there was no reason it should have taken so long to notify me of a problem. So Proflowers farked up Mother’s Day and now I hate them and I think you should too. Please hate them with me.

Apparently I am not the only one displeased by Proflowers, and according to this story, I’m lucky I was ever happy with orders I placed. (I should note that the article has to do with Proflowers’ own flowers, and not the orders they contract out to local florists. Still, I think it’s clear the company sucks.)

Here are some florists I recommend instead. If you’ve been especially pleased with any others, please share them in a comment:

  • A florist Loveliest Lori uses has made me a very happy recipient several times: Calyx & Corolla.
  • I like many of the Martha Stewart designs at 1-800-FLOWERS.
  • Edible Arrangements are delightful treats to receive!
  • Cookie baskets are festive and fun. Cookies by Design is one of the more popular cookie bouquet companies.
  • Dan’s wife owns Geranium Lake Flowers, and a quick peek at the web site will show you what amazing work she does. Portland-area deliveries only.

Happy friggin’ Mother’s Day, Mom. I owe you a bouquet.

10 comments:

  1. Spending time talking and laughing on the phone with you yesterday more than made up for the you'll-never-get-my-business-again florist! And I guess it makes the statement true, "it's the thought that counts!" :-) I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geranium Lake does ROCK! But I'm sleeping with the owner, so maybe I'm biased, no? She'd be happy to help if you need to send flowers out of town as well. She does overnight shipments all the time.

    Thanks for the plug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1800flowers is the best! I got Martha Stewart's Party Time for my Mom's birthday and they are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, yeah, yeah...blame it all on the florist. Point is, you should have called your mom first thing in the morning regardless of what you had sent.

    Bad daughter. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. berries.com is great also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1800flowers is the best! I got Martha Stewart's Party Time for my Mom's birthday and they are gorgeous!
    Canada flower shops

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey great stuff, thank you for sharing this useful information and i will let know my friends as well.
    Flowers - Flower store in uk

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails