May 9: This is NOT the bee’s knees

I have a horror story to tell you. Pretend it’s dark, and we’re sitting around a campfire and I’m shining a flashlight on my face because that’ll make it more eerie. Or just look at the pictures—that oughta freak you out good. This totally happened to a person I totally know whose cousin’s daughter’s old roommate’s best friend totally told her, so you totally know it’s totally true.

Actually, it happened to my next door neighbors, Tina and Jim. And there were witnesses. Plus, y’know, the pictures. They don’t lie.

Friday afternoon bees are swarming Tina’s driveway and she notices this hanging in a tree in her side yard:

A few summers ago an exterminator found the biggest yellow jacket nest he’d ever seen under the siding of our house. Until Friday, that was the scariest bee or bee-like experience I’d ever had. And although I didn’t experience Tina’s bee thing personally (I napped through it, THANK GOD), I’m going to say this is definitely the scariest bee or bee-like event that has ever occurred in our neighborhood EVER EVER EVER. Ever.

Tina said these guys—bee hobbyists—were really excited about this whole thing. Clearly, the sanity has been stung out of them.

I’m glad to see they look a teensy bit frightened here. Or maybe the guy in front is mid-hoot-and-holler and not frightened at all, in which case I would like to remind the jury that the sanity has been stung out of these men.

Jack said he watched everything from across the street, too, but probably farther away because he’s a weenie like his momma. That’s why he’s not in this picture. Katie didn’t even watch; she was playing in Phoebe’s backyard. I’m not sure if she didn’t care or thought she was safer there. (She’s kind of a weenie too.)

The insane bee dudes supposedly took the queen and most of its worker bees away. I’m hopeful that “away” was farther than “the Manullangs’ backyard.” If so, the neighborhood is safe(ish) again. Whew.

5 comments:

  1. Yikes--that was awful!! But I have to admit that I really thought at the beginning it was a fairy tale when you said, "we're sitting around a campfire"....I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Mary, I have actually sat around a campfire with Jen! At the annual Saltmarsh Ron-de-voo.(Rendezvous for people who don't think I can spell.) I had one of those bee swarms in my yard a few years ago. It took a whole day to round up a bee keeper to come and get them. Meanwhile, I wouldn't go outside. But my little brother Kenny was so brave, that,early in the morning when it was very cold out, he walked right up and touched it with his hand. He said that it was super soft.(Psssst. My brother Kenny is an idiot.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So that you know they did go far away they are now residing in The Couv (Vancouver, WA) and the dummies who stayed thinking their woman was coming back well that got some action from a big ol can of spray instead! Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. They kinda look like Killer Bees. Just sayin'.

    Sleep well...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim, (one of the beekeepers) called me and informed me the swarm was Russian Honey bees. Typically more aggressive than European Honey Bees. Fortunately while swarming they are not aggressive. Had they nested we would all have serious problems.
    He will give us some of their honey this fall....
    Rob

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails