Jun. 10: Plinky ~ Perfect jury duty read

Today’s Plinky prompt:

If you had to report for jury duty today, which book would you take with you?

Why is this a good book to help pass the time while you wait...and wait...to do your civic duty?

I’ve been lucky so far; I’ve been called for jury duty several times but have never had to report. I’ve always had a good excuse—either I just gave birth, or was about to, or had no child care, or something else kid-related got me off the hook. Honestly, this is a little bit disappointing, because I’d like to have to show up once, just to experience our <cough cough> judicial process. Vic assures me it’s not at all exciting, and he knows of what he speaks.

Because I’ve never served on a jury or even been in a jury pool, my jury duty frame of reference comes from a combination of three things: TV, John Grisham novels, and the nonstop text messages my sister sent me that time she was stuck sitting next to Mr. Stinky for three days. So I’m gonna say that I know EXACTLY what jury duty is like.

And I think one of the objectives to being in a jury pool is to NOT end up as the subject of some a-hole’s text messages to her a-hole sister. Because I would want to stay entertained while I wait, any book by David Sedaris would seem like the perfect way to pass the time. Problem is, his books frequently make me LOL. And if I LOL, it’s inevitably going to annoy someone, and I prefer not to be that girl who’s annoying everyone.

It’d be fun to read a book with a title that could freak people out, like one of these (all real books, BTW):

  • How To Murder Your Mother-in-Law
  • Witchcraft for Good and Evil
  • Schadenfreude, Baby!: A Delicious Look at the Misfortune of Others (and the Pleasure It Brings Us)
  • Out of Control and Loving It
  • How to Hypnotize Yourself With Your Eyes Open
  • Zen of Farting
  • A Pocket Guide to Precious Moments Collectible Figurines
  • Dr. Snake’s Voodoo Spellbook
  • The Good Old Days: The Holocaust

But my answer to the Plinky prompt is a simple and uninteresting one: I’d probably just bring whatever book I’m currently reading.

blogsignaturepic

2 comments:

  1. "Guilty"
    "OJ Simpson - My story"
    "Jeffery Dahmer Cookbook"

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Guilty"
    "OJ Simpson - My story"
    "Jeffery Dahmer Cookbook"

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails