Jun. 16: Plinky ~ old movie

Today’s Plinky prompt:

What's your favorite movie that was made before you were born?

Explain what makes this oldie a goodie.

My all-time favorite movie was made 14 years before I was born; it’s White Christmas, released in 1954. Why is it my favorite movie? Because it’s awesome. How can you top “Sisters” as performed by Rosemary Clooney and a voice-overed Vera-Ellen (unless it was performed by me and Kathy, of course)? Or “Sisters” as performed by Bing and Danny in drag? My other favorite song in the movie is “Love, You Didn’t Do Right By Me.” And yes, the movie’s Christmas songs are pretty darn good too.

The Sound of Music (1965) is definitely a close second.

And lest you think I’m just a sucker for old movies, I ain’t. I hated Holiday Inn (1942), It’s a Wonderful Life (1946) and The Wizard of Oz (1939). I know, that probably makes me some kind of unpatriotic something-or-other. Meh.

What’s your favorite movie from before you were born?

blogsignaturepic

6 comments:

  1. Casablanca
    The Maltese Falcon
    The Big Sleep
    The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    To have and have not
    Key Largo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm toss ups between Gone With The Wind, Breakfast At Tiffanys and The Shop Around The Corner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything with Bogart is awesome!

    Most Hitchcock stuff is great as well. I've always liked "Rope" and "Strangers on a Train."

    "An Affair to Remember" - the Cary Grant/Deborah Kerr version - is my all time favorite old flick, though. The last scene, in the apartment - great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Dan, great pick! Love Cary Grant anything but especially that one.

    My choice would have to be either "The Philadelphia Story"
    (1940) with Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart or it's "modern" version "High Society" (1956) with Grace Kelly, Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hating "It's a Wonderful Life!?" See you in Pottersville . . .
    Gone with the Wind
    The Women - not my favorite but sure deserves honorable mention
    Recently have become an even bigger Hitchcock fan, so have to agree with on that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Casablanca
    The Maltese Falcon
    The Big Sleep
    The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    To have and have not
    Key Largo

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails