Feb. 5: Daredevils in school

"Manly teachers make better role models"

This headline immediately infuriated me, but after reading the accompanying article, I think it was just a poor choice of headline; the article doesn't exactly support that statement. Still, aren't we a civilized society? I guess maybe New Zealand isn't; a grade school principal there says "male teachers are more daring." Whatever.

I take offense at this for several reasons.


  1. I'm a teacher and I don't think I'm less effective because I'm female
  2. Katie has a male teacher this year and although I think he's awesome, I don't think he's better because he's a dude
  3. I hate stereotypes like this. Like, "white people can't dance" (though in my case it's true) and "Asians are smarty-pantses" (my husband is the most forgetful, absent-minded, non-technical guy I've ever known--though he is good at math... never mind)
  4. Aren't copywriters supposed to catch blatantly sexist statements like the one in this headline and CORRECT them, not WRITE them???

I now step off my overly zealous soap box. I need to go write a non-daring lesson plan anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Well I am a male teacher and I know that I'm much more effective than you! :) *sticking my tongue out at you and laughing my ass off!!!!*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, all that malarkey is like saying "Fat Girls Eat Lots!" What a bunch o' losers.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails