Feb. 6: Random meme

Here's a meme of some random questions. Please post your answers in a comment or your blog. Thanks!

  1. By what nickname(s) were you known as a child?
    Jen-Jen. Never Jenny, although that was the original plan (Mom's maiden name).
  2. Do you have a favorite poem and, if so, what is it?
    I love poetry, but two poems immediately come to mind. The Road Not Taken, by Robert Frost; I had to memorize it for a poetry class in college and I can still recite the whole thing. My kids are totally unimpressed. Another one I memorized was Love is Not All, by Edna St. Vincent Millay. I think these are two of my favorites because I put so much effort into learning them, but I also truly love what they say.
  3. You are tired and hungry, but it's too late to cook. If any snack food were available to you, what would you choose and why?
    Wheat Thins or saltines. If it's late and I just need something in my tummy I don't want it to be super heavy or so delicious that I'll eat too much.
  4. What is the oldest item of clothing (not jewelry) that you wear regularly and what do you love about it?
    I don't know if this counts as clothing, but I have a headband I use when putting on my makeup that I stole from Kathy about 25 years ago. It's basically a big scrunchie but it doesn't smoosh my hair so it's something I'll mourn if/when the elastic finally gives.
  5. Name a movie or TV show that changed your thinking or behavior.
    Dead Poets' Society. I loved the thing Robin Williams' character said (I had to go look it up at IMDB): We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play *goes on* and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?
    It still gives me chills. I was getting interested in poetry and literature at the time, struggling with a desire to change my major for the zillionth time, and the movie made me feel so validated. It also made me decide to stick with my business degree. And to not be so sad because my dad from That 70's Show just didn't "get" me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails