Mar. 10: So many apps

I’m singling out my fellow iPhone users for this post, except for the very last bulleted item, which applies to all cell phone users.

Time for an update on my favorite iPhone apps. I think I’ve reported on some of these before, but they’ve probably earned their recommendation more than once, too. These are currently the iPhone applications I use and/or like most, and YES, I know there are a lot of games on my list:

  • Around Me. This app uses my location to tell me where to find restaurants, stores, and other businesses near where I am at that moment. I used it when I picked Stephen up at the airport and he wanted Italian food (and then he smirked when I told him Sbarro was a mere 74 yards away—what a big food snob, right?). I used it again throughout the weekend when he asked for one hip place after another that his un-hip auntie could not find. Very handy. Our GPS does the same thing, but this one works outside the car.
  • Shopping apps: eBay, Target, Amazon, redbox, etc. Lots of stores are setting up mobile versions of their sites. Handy. If etsy comes up with one, though, I’m in serious trouble.
  • Triazzle. Fun, challenging puzzle game.
  • Skee-Ball. So cool. Realistic sound effects. You even win tickets, which can be redeemed for stupid crap! Playing on the iPhone is much less aromatic than Chuck E. Cheese, with far fewer pedophiles lurking nearby.
  • FreakyFruits. This is a slots game that reminds me of the penny slots I like to play in Vegas. Total waste of time, but cute. Can be connected to Facebook, although I’m not sure why.
  • Talking Carl. He’s a big block of red I-don’t-know-what and repeats everything you say (or belch!). Carl also yells if you jab him, laughs if you tickle him, and growls if you hold your finger on his belly. He’s like the iPhone version of my husband.
  • Wikipanion. Mobile version of Wikipedia. I like. I like very much.
  • DoodleJump. This is one of the newest top sellers at the app store. I haven’t played it enough to become an expert, but it’s pretty fun so far. Fancy Lori™ told me to get it and I always do what she tells me because she is very wise. I love the art.
  • Unfriended is an app that’ll tell you who has unfriended you on Facebook. Now, don’t go unfriending me just to see how it works…
  • HuffPost is the mobile version of The Huffington Post.
  • WeeMee is an avatar creator. You can save and email the avatars to friends, as well as assign them to contacts so their avatar pops up when they call. Here’s an example of the one I made of my Sunshine Girl:
sunshine
  • Moron Test will keep you busy for a long, long time. It’s another top seller, and I can certainly see why; you pretty much have to memorize the game to get through it.
  • Wurdle is basically Boggle. Great game.
  • Pandora. Music you like. smiley-smile
  • Bejeweled 2. Just as fun on the phone as on the desktop. Totally addictive, especially the one-minute “Blitz” version of the game. You can connect this to Facebook to compete with friends or publish your high scores on your wall, you big show-off.
  • Monopoly, Yahtzee Adventures, UNO, and Scrabble. So much like the real thing, but-cept you don’t have to try to find real people to play with you. I love all o’ them old-timey games!
  • Twitteriffic. Still my favorite Twitter app. I’ve used a bunch of the others, but keep going back to this one. Maybe it’s just because I’m used to it, but the others seem awkward in comparison. Twitter also has its own mobile version now, which can be found by going to twitter.com in Safari.
  • This last one isn’t an app, but a web site where you can get free ringtones—not just for the iPhone. I’ve always had fun custom ringtones on my phones, but when I got the iPhone and found you have to buy them and can’t make your own without a LOT of effort, I was suddenly way less enchanted with the iPhone. Pffft. However, it appears Apple has changed their tune (haha, see what I did there?) and now you can have custom ringtones in a snap. Audiko has a bunch of ringtones already made from songs, and it’s super-easy to search for them. No registration is required, and you don’t even have to give them your number; you can download the ringtones and put them on your phone yourself. Way awesome.

Any iPhone apps without which you would not want to live? Please tell me! I want to live too!

blogsignature

2 comments:

  1. Bump - to exchange info between to iTouchs or iPhones.
    Domino Fall Stick - fun but frustrating domino game.
    Flight Track - tells you plane times, gates, arrivals and even where they are mid-flight.
    IMDd- all the movie and actor info you need when you can't remember who so and so is.
    Red Laser - you scan items and it tells you how much it is.
    Just Light Flashlight - just a plain white screen that acts like a flashlight. I've used this in a movie theater when we dropped something under the seats and couldn't see to find it.
    Zen Bound - fun but hard mind game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What, is this payback for my Etsy post last week. Fine, be that way. Off to spend some $$ at the iTunes store.. oh happy day!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails