Mar. 1: So, so unbelievably uncool

I don’t have a lot of time this morning, but I just wanted to post a quick little something today so I don’t go three whole days without blogging. Three whole days, I know! It’s shameful. But not really.

I’m achy and sore and tender and grumbly ever since yesterday. It’s that one-week-after-chemo feel, which is now controlled with the ever-delightful Vicodin. It doesn’t make the pain go away, but it makes me care less, and that’s probably the most for which I can hope. While I’d love to curl up in bed with a good book all day, I’ve got physical therapy in an hour and then I promised to take my nephew to Voodoo Doughnut and a coffee place downtown, so I’ll be spreading the grouchiness throughout the city today. Yay me.

Someone should probably warn the physical therapist that if he or she hurts me this morning, he or she is going to get a punch in the crotch.

uncool So, yeah, my rockstar nephew is visiting and I’ve never felt like such a dork in all my life. Last night Victor and I decided Stephen is cooler than both of us put together, and then some. So sad. But I’m learning some things from him, oh yes I am, which are definitely garnering cool points for this Auntie Zen (in no one’s opinion but my own). For instance, when one fist bumps one’s friend, said fists should then “explode.” The fact that I’m explaining this, I believe, proves exactly how much my dork-ness has recently increased. Ahem.

But for really and for true, it’s fun having Stephen here. He doesn’t do anything to intentionally make us feel old and unhip; it’s not like he walks around telling us how old and unhip we are. He’s thinking it, sure, but he’s too nice to say so. Last night he went running in the neighborhood at midnight (to all of my neighbors: so sorry if he scared you—he’s quite harmless, but you should know he’s a black belt in karate, so don’t surprise him), and that might be the most action our street has seen at that time of night in years. Oh, and we took him all the way out to Boring yesterday to get some stepping stones for the front yard. We’re really into showing him the very best and most interesting parts of the city at the most exciting times of the day. Feel free to schedule your next Portland city tour with Jen & Vic Will Put You To Sleep Immediately In The Minivan And They Won’t Even Listen To Cool Music While They Drive Travel Company™.

I’ve gotten to hear some recently recorded demos by the band that Stephen’s bandmates have emailed him. That’s been pretty awesome, like a teeny preview that makes me all special ‘n stuff. There’s some other band news that may or may not be secret so I have to keep it under my Proud Auntie hat for now, but trust me… it’s way cool. Sunshine almost hyperventilated when she heard.

Oh, one more apology to my neighbors: Stephen got Jack an electric guitar and amp. That excessive noise you were complaining about all weekend? It was coming from our house. While the guitar came with free lessons courtesy of the rockstar, Jack is still at Lesson #1, which is The Chord Progression That Almost Lets You Play ‘Polly Wolly Doodle’ And Drives Mommy Coco For Cuckoo Poops. We hope to get through at least one more lesson before Stephen leaves tomorrow.

blogsignature

1 comment:

  1. I hope there was at least a Voodoo bacon maple to make up for the road to Boring . . .

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails