Here's my last attempt to learn y'all some pirate lingo so you're prepared for tomorrow, which is the very important Talk Like a Pirate Day.
Here be some phrases that ye need know if ye want to not be mistaken for no landlubber!
- Ahoy: Used to hail a ship or a person or to attract attention
- Arr!, Argh, Arrgh!, Yarr!, Harr!, etc.: A general piratical term - can be used with anything
- Avast!: Used as a command to stop or desist
- Belay: Used in the imperative as an order to stop. Belay there!
- Blimey!: Used to express frustration
- Bucko: A friend
- Dead men tell no tales: Phrase explaining why pirates leave no survivors
- Gangway!: Used to clear a passage through a crowded area
- Hang the jib: To look ill-tempered or annoyed. To pout.
- He's gone to Davy Jones' locker: He is dead. (Davy Jones's locker is also the bottom of the sea)
- Me hearties: My comrade; boon companion; good fellow; a term of familiar address and fellowship among sailors. Captains often refer to their entire crew this way.
- Shiver me timbers!: An expression of surprise
- Sink me!: An expression of surprise
- Smartly: Quickly
- Splice the mainbrace!: To have a drink, or perhaps several
- Yo-ho-ho: Completely meaningless, but fun to say