Sep. 24: Monday meme

I’m going to start making Monday my “Meme* Day.” You are invited to answer these questions for yourself in your own blog or in the comments section of mine. Here’s today’s meme:

When was the best time, or what was the best experience, you've had with a sibling?
When I think about memorable experiences I’ve shared with Kathy, most of them are the kinds that make us (and only us) laugh. But there’s not one single event that really stands out; I just have the memory of us having a lot of fun. As for what has been most meaningful, I would say that even though it is a horrible experience, working through our grief after losing Dad has made me more grateful than ever that I have her.

When do you feel the loneliest?
I rarely feel lonely anymore. I’m rarely alone anymore. If the kids and Vic aren’t around, I have the dogs, who don’t leave my side. I feel lonely for certain people sometimes. But because I have my husband and kids around, see my in-laws often, talk to my mom and sister just about every day, and e-mail my friends, I almost always feel connected to the people that are most important to me.

If a one-year period of your diary were to be published with your name attached, what year would you prefer?
I wrote in my journal regularly throughout high school and college, and that’s interesting to me to read now—even though I haven’t looked at it in a few years—because I can see myself maturing. But probably what would be more interesting to other people would be the journal I kept during Katie’s first year. I had debilitating postpartum depression for several months, and there were a lot of times that I really didn’t think I could handle being a mom. I wouldn’t have hurt myself or the baby, but I certainly considered running away from home. One thing I’ve told all of my friends who are becoming parents for the first time is that it’s normal to feel overwhelmed. I didn’t know who to talk to about all that stuff, and I really felt like I was a horrible person for not being completely in love with that newborn baby. Everyone kept telling me what a gift she was, and I desperately wanted to tell them to put their babysitting arms where their mouth was (I wanted to tell them other things too, but this is a family blog).

What has been the biggest accomplishment of your life (so far)?
I’m supposed to say “being a mom” here, aren’t I? I adore my children, and I no longer have regrets about choosing motherhood. But I have to say, I feel incredibly satisfied to have long ago chosen a career path that I have not only stuck with, but have thoroughly enjoyed. Going from full-time to contractor work has been a big change, but I have never been out of work because I have networked and made a good reputation for myself. As far as family goes, I do feel glad that my kids live in a home where mom and dad love each other and are both equally devoted to their family.

You’ve won $100,000 – but have to give it all away. To which charity or institution would you donate it?
If I thought it’d get a building named after me, I’d donate it to my alma mater, Walla Walla University. Unfortunately, I think $100K would only get me a Honey Bucket. The Jennifer Saltmarsh Manullang Honey Bucket. Woo. Seriously? I’d give it to the Olivia Medici Memorial Fund, a very worthy cause.



*Meme: In blogspeak, this is an idea that spreads across the Internet, typically a list of questions whose answers become blog entries. It is pronounced “meem” by most people. Outside of blogging, but still in the context of the Internet, memes are defined as those items that get e-mailed and linked until everyone in the world has seen them. Think “Dramatic Prairie Dog” or “Evolution of Dance.”

I encourage my other blogging friends to write/answer memes. They’re great writing exercises and can provide interesting insight, if only to you. Like you, Sheila... why don’t you have a blog? Just think of all the great Aiden stories you could share.

Have a great Monday!

2 comments:

  1. For the $100,000 question, I'd give my money to the person who helps me lose weight. And the interest would go to the person who puts Ted Haggard and Mike Jones out of our misery. And I would hope that someone would be kind enough to put a jukebox in my bathroom, as sort of a ME gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When was the best time, or what was the best experience, you've had with a sibling?

    I have five siblings: three brothers and two sisters. They are all older than me. My brother, Greg, is the oldest sibling, and he is 15 years older than me.

    Growing up, my first memory of Greg is when he came home for my sister's wedding in 1977. I was only five at the time, and I remember being sick. My mom had a cold washcloth over my eyes, and someone lifted the washcloth so I could see Greg when he got there.

    Needless to say, we did not have much interaction with each other. It wasn't until Mathew and I moved to Oregon that I was able to spend any time with Greg. He lived in the Seattle area for years, and I had never been to visit him.

    From that first weekend visit on, we seemed to have a special bond with each other. We finally had the opportunities to get to know each other. Those visits hold incredible memories.

    When do you feel the loneliest?

    My loneliest time was when Mathew was in Iraq from June, 2006, until August, 2007. There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't think about him and wonder if there was going to be that dreaded knock at the door.

    Mathew and I have been married for 14 years, and I am used to the separation. Mathew has been to Korea twice, Iraq twice, and countless other trips away. This time was different.

    Aiden certainly kept me busy and entertained, but there were a lot of times where I wished Mathew could just be here. There is nothing more depressing than raising your child by yourself and wondering at the same time if that is what your future will be.

    If a one-year period of your diary were to be published with your name attached, what year would you prefer?

    I think this past year that Mathew was in Iraq would be the one I would publish. Having gone through a deployment before (2003 to 2004), there are a lot of times where that first deployment experience helped me through the second one. I think that military spouses going through their first deployment would find it helpful.

    What has been the biggest accomplishment of your life (so far)?
    I agree with Jen: I could say Aiden. I think Aiden is an amazing gift, and I am blessed to be his mother. However, my biggest accomplishment is graduating from Pacific Lutheran University. It was a lot of hard work, and I never want to do it again!

    You’ve won $100,000 – but have to give it all away. To which charity or institution would you donate it?

    I think I would donate the money as a scholarship fund for my high school in Watertown, SD. That kind of money would go far there.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails