Oct. 3: Seasonal Affective Disorder?

Yeah, so the debate and other election-related stuff are the hot topics in the blogosphere right now. But the other thing people keep writing about is how much they love fall. And I’m just gonna come right out and say it: I do not love fall. It’s my least favorite season.

It’s not because of where I live; in fact, this time of year is quite pleasant in the northwest weather-wise. It’s not unheard of for the really cold weather to hold off until mid-November. But I guess I’ve just never understood the appeal of autumn. To me, it is a season of dying. To me, it is not pretty.

For starters, the skies change from a beautiful clear blue to grey and rainy. Bleah.

The leaves fall and mess up the sidewalks and gutters. The tree-lined streets in my neighborhood go from green and shaded to dead and bare. Bleah about this too.

I don’t like getting up in the morning when it’s still dark. (I realize this continues all winter long, but by winter I’m used to it; I still don’t like it, but I’m used to it.)

The kids can’t play outside as much—or at all—and bug me to find ways they can entertain themselves indoors. That’s what Disney Channel is for, Children.

I don’t like the filth and wet the kids and dogs track in every time they’ve been outside.

Oh, how it sucks to watch poor Victor rake and rake and rake.

Our weekend neighborhood gatherings end, and we sometimes don’t see each other for months.

Although the changing colors in the hills around us are interesting to see, golds and browns and oranges are my least favorite colors in the spectrum. I also know that in a very short time those trees with the changing leaves will be bare and look dead. Remember? I don’t like that.

I hate the spiders and other many-legged creatures that look for shelter inside my house. They don’t realize they’re committing suicide—between Vic’s big shoes and our bug-eating kitten, the inside of my house is definitely not a place called hope.

I’m really not fond of my body’s apparent desire to grow its own layers of warmth as the temperatures cool. Stupid body.

Here’s what I don’t mind about this time of year: the cooler temperatures, always having an excuse to curl up with a blanket and a good book, the knowledge that Christmas on its way. That stuff’s not so bad.

But spring—that’s my season. All that new life. Blue, sunny skies. We can shuck sweaters and long pants. Tulips, daffodils, crocuses. Everything looks clean. The dreariness of winter ends... to me, that’s beauty.

I’m just biding my time.

5 comments:

  1. I am pretty sure I won't be able to change your mind, but can't help but try, just a little. Autumn (does it help to not call it fall?) is actually my favorite season, followed quickly by spring and summer. Winter is an obvious loser of a season... (I know, Dan, hardly a loyal Canadian outlook... that's why I don't live there!).

    Anyway, for those of us who live in a very-warm-summer place, the cooling of fall is quite welcome. There's a crisp to the air that is so refreshing. And rather than things dying, I really think of things as having a fighting chance again... keeping everything alive all summer can be a bit of a chore around here! I love to plant in the fall, to get the roots all established before the next spring and summer come...

    But when I'm done planting, I also enjoy the lovely break from yard work--by the end of September I'm all done with pretending to love yard work and the garden. Once I've had my reprieve though, I'm ready to hit the nurseries in the spring again. But year round gardening? Can't imagine it.

    It's a lovely countdown to the holidays, which you noted. Halloween followed quickly by Thanksgiving and Christmas... I love the decorating and the presents and the food! Doesn't get any better. And then there are lots of fall birthdays too, to celebrate...

    Now I'll give you points on the dark, the gray, the wet and muddy messes. But the sweaters and cozying up by the fire... lovely lovely lovely. Hot chocolate!

    I also associate fall with my maternity leave when Seth was born, which was so relaxing and wonderful. And then getting married on Thanksgiving Day... I'm a little biased toward the season.

    So, not a very objective argument, but things that needed to be said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen,

    It may be the difference in locations but now that autumn has a arrived we have been outside more than we could be in the summer because it was so hot and the "skeeters" would eat us up.

    Don't get me wrong I loooove summer. We spend a lot of time on the lake so summer rocks for us.

    But the onset of fall to me is great. I also like Spring. Days warming up everything starting to come to life...

    Winter - if we would get a little more snow here I would probably be okay with that instead it is just cold and wet here!!!

    Sorry you don't enjoy fall! Thanks for stopping by my place and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jen-Jen,

    Try watching "The Four Seasons" with Alan Alda and Carol Burnett. It's got something funny for every season.

    Anyway, I'm really posting to remind everyone to look at the counter on your site. Kath & I are under 2 months now on our countdown to SF!!! Aren't you excited? :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate the efforts to change my mind, people. It didn't work, but the effort was nice. :)

    Lori, we're all super duper excited about the countdown. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate the efforts to change my mind, people. It didn't work, but the effort was nice. :)

    Lori, we're all super duper excited about the countdown. Yay.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails