Oct. 5: And so it goes

Jack lost a tooth today, his third. He excitedly put it under his pillow before he went to bed tonight, wondering aloud what the tooth fairy would leave him. Will it be a LEGO set, like last time? Or maybe money? And how much?

Vic heard him talking about it and ran in, saying, “I just saw the tooth fairy and he gave me this to give to you!” Jack had an excited but skeptical look on his face and held out his hand, where Vic put a penny. Jack laughed and then gave Dad a very loud lecture about how the tooth fairy is a girl, and she always leaves more than a penny, and he hasn’t even gone to bed yet, DUH.

When Katie was being tucked in she said to Vic, “I think the tooth fairy is moms and dads.” After promising she’d keep the illusion alive for Jack for a while longer, she fell asleep feeling ever-so-wise, I’m sure. We’re wondering how long we have before she starts asking about Santa and the Easter bunny.

Not quite a year ago I questioned all this lying, but after Christmas we let those worries go. We were traveling on Easter this year and I told Katie and Jack I made their baskets so the Easter bunny wouldn’t have to track us down. They totally fell for it.

But they’re just going to keep losing teeth, aren’t they? And besides, Christmas is a couple months away—and again, we’re going to be away from home. We can end this whenever we decide it’s time, can’t we? And if we decide that NOW is the time, does that make us Evil Parents or Honest, Caring Parents? Geez. This used to be so much fun. Now? Not so much.

I curse my seester for making me so over-sensitive to disappointing them. Hear that? I curse you, Ch-K!

2 comments:

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails