Oct. 8: My play date

Get ready to jealous-ify. Because—lucky me—I went on a play date yesterday. No, it was not at all as dirty as it sounds.

People often mock social networking sites like Facebook, but for me, Facebook will always be the site that helped me re-connect to one of my closest friends from the early years of college. If you ask me, Facebook is wicked awesome. Or to use social networking approved lingo, it’s rad. It’s chill. It’s kewl. It is so NOT pwned. (And now I am feeling very, very old because I don’t even know the current lingo.)

1987, Sherilee and Jen with weird hair and baby SeanSherilee and I have been e-mailing regularly for the past few months, catching up on the changes and developments in our lives over the 15 or so years since we last saw each other. She and her husband are at the Oregon Coast this week, and she took a day out of her relaxing vacation to come to Portland. I feel very privileged, and am choosing to believe that it was just to see me, not to shop in a city with decent shopping or eat at the Cheesecake Shortcake Factory.

We met at Washington Square in the morning and spent the next six hours together. It was nonstop talking and laughing and interrupting and potty language and buying fake rats and trying to explain giant bags of candy. In other words, it was utter perfection.

Some highlights:

  • Beets can jump. Did you know beets can jump?
  • We are glad we aren’t in college like that guy in Borders that had a stack of, like, six books that was about two feet high. We do not miss that part of those days.
  • Apparently one does not necessarily learn a lot about oneself while in the fetal position
  • Policies, schmolicies. Our kids’ schools think we’re criminals.
  • We are not criminals
  • It’s possible that Kathy and I play more pranks on each other than normal siblings do
  • If a certain group of people’s secrets were worth $$, one orthodox priest in Walla Walla would be a gazillionaire
  • Her mom and my son like expensive things, but not the same expensive things
  • Some old guy stopped us in the mall and we couldn’t understand what he said but I think he thought Sherilee was my daughter. Is it any wonder that I hate the elderly?
  • Gummi = yummy
  • Sherilee’s husband’s favorite place to buy her jewelry is the Apple Store
  • We oohed and aahed over more stuff in Williams & Sonoma than any other store. What does that say about us? Something good, I hope.

We had a wonderful time yesterday, Sherilee and me. I’m already looking forward to our next get-together and it’s not even on the calendar yet.

3 comments:

  1. Oh that made me smile so much, just thinking back on our day! And a hearty guffaw at the fetal position and the orthodox priest especially.

    I did think just after you left that we hadn't taken a picture! We really should have done that--the one you posted is just so sad and stoner. So 80s.

    Thanks again for the day and the laughs and letting me have shortcake at a cheesecake restaurant. Go figure. We will book the next all-day chatfest again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I had no idea what pwned was until today. Well, I may still not know...

    And, so did not come into Portland for the shopping and shortcake. Just to clear that up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I had no idea what pwned was until today. Well, I may still not know...

    And, so did not come into Portland for the shopping and shortcake. Just to clear that up.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails