Oct. 31: Twas Halloween night...

Alright, so my kids think I’m a meanie mom about Halloween costumes because I will not let them freeze while they’re out trick-or-treating. Pfft.

Every costume Katie wanted this year was sleeveless or short-sleeved. Halloween around here is COLD, so what is the point of having a cute little costume when you have to cover it with a coat? My rule: something long-sleeved so she could wear warm, insulating clothes underneath it. She finally went with a very cute witch costume, which is perfect to top 16 layers of long underwear. She bitched and moaned the whole time she was getting dressed and I was this close to saying FINE, NO TRICK-OR-TREATING FOR YOU THIS YEAR. I did not. I just told her to knock it off and get ready.



Fortunately, Vic is totally on my side with this so she got no sympathy from him. And since he’s usually the one that takes the kids out for trick-or-treating, he’s the one that ends up giving her his coat when she gets cold. This is her ninth Halloween; we’re familiar with her modus operandi.


Jack was easy; not a lot of boys’ costumes are sleeveless unless you’re going for that Village People look. His costume was easy to layer but he whined about the gloves. We got him nice black ski gloves because they looked exactly like the Darth Vader gloves he wanted at the costume store, and (bonus!) he can wear them all winter. But then he decided he should have white gloves because clone troopers wear white gloves. How dare I suggest no one would even notice! I found a pair of tiny stretchy knit gloves in Katie’s dresser and while normally Jack would flatly refuse to wear girl gloves even if they looked perfectly unisex, he thought they were great. We made them pose for a few photos and they took flight into the cold neighborhood.

So far there have been two groups of unrecognizable kids that have yelled, “That was Katie’s mom!” as they ran off to the next house. And there was a very politically incorrect costume that politely and sweetly said, “Hi, Mrs. Manullang.” Still can’t figure out who that was. I haven’t seen too many pregnant nuns yet, which is disappointing. But I think because the rain finally stopped this afternoon, everyone is excitedly out and about and ringing my goll-dang doorbell nonstop. It’s taken me more than an hour to write these few paragraphs. Katie and Jack better come home with some good stuff for Mom.

4 comments:

  1. Cute kids! We had three groups tonight and I made Bryan answer the door. I'll have to send the leftover candy to the office with him next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable!! But, then, what else can a grandmother say????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great costumes - my two year was also dead set against the layers of layers I forced him to wear, but he came around eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great costumes - my two year was also dead set against the layers of layers I forced him to wear, but he came around eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails