Mar. 19: R.I.P., Parent Trap mom

Such tragic news about Natasha Richardson’s death yesterday. The skiing accident seemed more embarrassing than dangerous, and it was shocking to hear that it killed her.

The 1998 version of The Parent Trap is one of Katie’s and my favorite movies to watch together. Natasha Richardson plays the girls’ mom, and I absolutely such a sweet couplelove her character. One of my favorite scenes is when she’s having a drink at the hotel bar, totally stressed over having just run into her ex-husband, and burps loudly. She’s so dignified and it’s such a funny, unexpected moment. I’ve read that they had to use a sound effect to get the belch sound because no matter how hard she tried, Richardson could not make the sound herself. Why isn’t that surprising?

Of course, I’ve seen her in other movies too, but I was surprised to read about all she did in her acting career. Stage, film, TV… and for most of her life. Busy woman.

My goodness. Her husband and sons. Her family. Forget the fame and fortune factor; you see this kind of thing from a different point of view when it happens to someone close to your own age, especially another parent.

Sorry. I don’t mean to be a big downer, I just didn’t want to let this tragedy go by unmentioned.

5 comments:

  1. So sad. I have thought of her boys a lot the past couple of days--Liam and the little ones. What a tragic thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see White Countess? It was a wonderful movie, and she played her part so well, the disgraced Russian countess that has to do what she can to keep her family going.

    It was such a sad accident. I also thought of our similarities in age and her leaving a family behind. Pretty sobering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ironically, we just watched the Parent Trap with the kids a couple of weeks ago. Very sad and unexpected tragedy. Thinking we should get helmets for skiing....Jim's frankenstein leg ski injury seems so minor now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason this has really struck me. Maybe b/c I can think of all the times I skied into my 30's without a helmet and hit shit, including trees, rocks, buildings, people and the ground, with disturbing regularity. Oh and the fact that I've fallen out of the shower more times than most people give blood and I'm a total klutz.

    It just really bothers me that something so, on the surface, small and harmless could end a life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen,thank you for blogging this sad event. Katie and I have watched Parent Trap several times when she's visited--I just watched it last weekend. And I saw her in Evening just a couple of weeks ago. I think of you and Kathy, and grieve for her mother and children as well.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails