May 3: Dreams be dreams

Last night I had a dream in which I couldn’t remember the name of my nephew’s band. I had just met a record agent and wanted to tell him all about this fine group of young men, but all I could remember was that their band name started with a B.

(Their band name does not start with a B. It doesn’t even have a B in it.)

My sister showed up so I asked her what their name was, and after merciless teasing about my poor memory, she started telling me all these weird names that I knew weren’t real, bandlike “Blackhawk Down” and “Big Mac” and “Bon Jovi,” and was basically no help at all. Stephen (the nephew in the band) called just then, so I asked if I could talk to him.

Kathy said, “Hold on, Auntie Menopause wants to ask you something.”

I replied, “Thanks, Hormone Replacement Therapy,” and took the phone from her.

(Because, y’know, Kathy and I are sweet to each other in dreams just like we are in real life.)

Stephen made me try to guess their name, so I gave him all the fake ones his mom had told me and then threw in a few of my own. Apparently his band mates were listening in on Auntie Menopause and decided they were going to change their band name right then and there because who could resist “Botched Hormone Replacement Therapy”?

See? I knew it started with a B.

(“The Rouge (or BHRT, if you prefer) has posted a new song on their web site. I think Tangerine’s still my favorite, but Six Shooter is awesome too,” said the totally unbiased Auntie Pre-Pre-Pre-Menopause. “Also, that is some fiiiine drummering.”)

jensignature

9 comments:

  1. I had a dream last night that someone had stolen my phone and the entire contents of my wallet and left me with this weird phone that flipped out and folded open and did all sorts of other weird things except allow me to make a phone call - nevermind they'd stolen EVERYTHING out of my wallet. I'd never been so relieved to wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have dreams where I'm trying to put in a phone number and keep doing it wrong and I REALLY need to get a hold of someone in a hurry. What does that mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Jen, do you always dream in such detail? I don't think I get into REM much anymore so my dreams are not too good. And there's no way Kathy would be that mean. Ever. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen E, I hate dreams like that! I wake up all panicked and stressed! Not a good way to start one's day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori ~ you don't dare ask me to analyze dreams. My own are insane, and I don't want to guess at what they mean either. :)

    And yes, I always dream in exquisite detail, and it is often quite distressing. The part of this dream I didn't share was a whole subplot about a friend I was visiting who was being hateful to me and how hurt I was over it. This was all happening while I was planning my wedding vows renewal with the help of April's sisters, who were being coordinator-zillas. Poor Vic usually hears the whole dream when I wake up. I sound like Charlie Brown's mom to him after the first couple minutes.

    Also, somehow I slept until almost 11 this morning, so I had time for a double feature. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I do love a good vivid dream!

    And I love telling my lucky husband about them when I first wake up too, since then they stick around a little longer. Otherwise for me, dreams are pretty much gone within a few minutes of waking... sieve brain, I think it is. Or just pre pre menopause! (I'm not quite as in denial about how far away it might be, Jen!)

    I had a panicky dream the other night about Seth and a buddy of his biking to some mall MILES away, early in the morning before school, to get their arcade and chocolate fix (apparently "they" had a Godiva craving...). As with almost every dream of mine, all my worries and cravings are front and center. Duh. I would love to dream sometime and think, "Gee, I wonder where THAT came from." Rarely happens. Apparently I have no depth.

    I love how you're just as witty in your dreams as you are in "real life!"
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sheesh, Jen! When your memory goes, we're ALL in trouble!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheesh, Jen! When your memory goes, we're ALL in trouble!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a dream last night that someone had stolen my phone and the entire contents of my wallet and left me with this weird phone that flipped out and folded open and did all sorts of other weird things except allow me to make a phone call - nevermind they'd stolen EVERYTHING out of my wallet. I'd never been so relieved to wake up.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails