Nov. 19: Happiness is a habit

I snagged this meme from Jen E (mommablogsalot). I don’t have the time or energy to do a Thursday Thirteen for tomorrow, so this will have to do.

Happiness is a Habit... Cultivate It

The rules: “At this moment, use the alphabet and write down the first thing that comes to your mind for each letter. Don’t ponder or try to think of something that will be impressive. Just do it! This says a lot about you and may surprise you as well. Go ahead... you know you want to!”
Here are my answers:



Aches. I’ve spent way too much time sitting in front of a computer today. My neck hurts, my back hurts... I need to go for a walk just to stretch some muscles.

Books. I’m almost done reading a book I’ve been working at for a long time. I sat down to finish it this afternoon but promptly fell asleep. Maybe after the kids have gone to bed I can take another stab at it.

CSI: NY is on tonight.

Dogs. Which one of you farted under my desk and how do you stink up the entire room like that? You’re just a little dog!

Energy. It’s nice to finally have some after two weeks of feeling like a slug.

(San) Francisco. We’re headed there next week!

Good friends. We’ll be meeting up with a couple we met on our cruise last year—thanks to Facebook we have easily stayed in touch.

Holidays are coming! The holidays are coming!

I like the holidays.

Jason Mraz. If you haven’t heard We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things, you need to.

Katie is trying to teach herself to juggle. I am trying to teach myself to be patient with this.

Long drive. The part of our trip I’m not looking forward to; thankfully we’re breaking it up in manageable batches of time.

Millie. One of my favorite pastimes that’s impossible with a kitten around: beading. I was making a lanyard for a friend this morning and was ready to strangle Millie with it by the time I finally finished and cleaned up all the spillage and knocked-downage and batted-aroundage.

No Thanksgiving dinner this year. We’ll be traveling that day. I don’t care so much about missing the big meal, but the thought of going through the whole weekend without Thanksgiving dinner leftovers? I’m not sure I can do it!

Obsession. Facebook is a kick in the pants, in the very best sense of the word. (I have no idea what that means, exactly, but I love Facebook lately.)

Pumpkins. The kids’ classroom parties are Friday. For one of them, we’re doing a “hot potato” kind of game using a little pumpkin. We still have a whole bunch outside from Halloween so I planned to take one of them. Jack just ran inside to tell me that Vic let him throw them in the street (“for fun, Mom!”) before they put them in the garbage can. Guess I’ll be pumpkin shopping tomorrow...

Quiet. I’m thankful for the amount of work I’ve had lately, but being away from home while the kids are at school means that I don’t have any of that quiet time I need. Without it I tend to be a little grouchy when the kids are acting like maniacs, and I hate myself for wanting to scream at them.

Reading. I’m going to have lots of time in the car next week and am hoping to get through a few great books.

SunnyD is, like, my new favorite mixer. It works with rum, vodka, Triple Sec, Sprite... I’d list more but I’m too drunk.

(Mel) Tormé. I’m listening to Christmas music right now.

Underwear” seems to be Jack’s favorite word today. Boys.

(I’m) very tired, happy, loved, sore, busy, content, warm.

(Amazon) wish list. Don’t have one? Get one. They’re awesome, ‘specially if I’m shopping for you.

Xmas.” I don’t know why, but this abbreviation drives me nuts.

You’re bored, aren’t you?

Zaps. It hasn’t rained here in a few days and I guess the air is getting dry because I keep getting shocked when I touch my computer. You’d think I’d learn. You’d be wrong.



I don’t really see what this meme has to do with happiness, but there it is.

4 comments:

  1. yeah mine didn't really seem "happy" either - I tried with a few things to think all zen and whatever, but maybe you have to innately be that kind of person for it to work? It was still fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A...Awesome.
    B...Bored.
    C...Clueless.
    D...Doubtful.
    E...Everything.
    F...Forever.
    G...Good Grief.
    H...Hopeful.
    I...Instantaneous.
    J...Journey.
    K...Kangaroo.
    L...Lost.
    M...Mom.
    N...Never.
    O...Oblivious.
    P...Perfect.
    Q...Quit.
    R...Really.
    S...Stupid.
    T...Kids (Taylor, Trevor, Theo)
    U...Unlikely.
    V...Venom.
    W...Wish.
    X...ray.
    Y...Yearning.
    Z...Zen (because Jen E said it in her post and I was staring at it as I wrote this).

    ReplyDelete
  3. A--apple pie, thinking of making that for Thanksgiving. Not feeling the pumpkin this year.
    B--Blogess, The. My crush this week.
    C--color. Love it. Need it.
    Dog--my dog did great at the vet today. I was so surprised.
    E--eponymous. I love that word.
    F--fluffy. Seth's word for chubby. Not sure why.
    G--goodness.
    H--happiness.
    I--iced tea. I still like it when the weather is cool.
    J--jello. I'm sad Jen doesn't like it, since it makes me very happy, twice a year. No more than that.
    K--KY. You can either read that as K-Y or Kentucky.
    L--love.
    M--Major. A great adjective. "That is just so major." Makes me feel 15 again.
    N--Narnia. Dunno why.
    O--obfuscate. Another great word.
    P--Prudence. I like Ask Prudence, the advice column on Slate.com.
    Q--John Quinones. For some reason, he popped into my head. ABC news...
    R--resumes. I am not so fond of those right now. Too many. Too many poorly written ones.
    S--Seth. Sweet Seth.
    T--temptation. Yield to temptation. Oh, maybe it was yield NOT?
    U--umbrella. Love those. Don't ever use them, but love them.
    V--velociraptor. Who wouldn't want one of those for a pet?
    W--Walla Walla. Where I try and convince people to move to, to take a job. It's not working. Wah.
    X--xylophone, since that's what it always is on those alphabet things.
    Y--yellow. Hate it 100% yellow, as in printing. But I love love love my new yellow purse my mom got me for my birthday. It's like butter, baby.
    Z--Zeus. God of sky and thunder. How cool is that?

    I don't get how running through the alphabet is a happiness habit. I would say coffee or sex or pedicures (not in that order)--those are happiness habits...

    Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A...Awesome.
    B...Bored.
    C...Clueless.
    D...Doubtful.
    E...Everything.
    F...Forever.
    G...Good Grief.
    H...Hopeful.
    I...Instantaneous.
    J...Journey.
    K...Kangaroo.
    L...Lost.
    M...Mom.
    N...Never.
    O...Oblivious.
    P...Perfect.
    Q...Quit.
    R...Really.
    S...Stupid.
    T...Kids (Taylor, Trevor, Theo)
    U...Unlikely.
    V...Venom.
    W...Wish.
    X...ray.
    Y...Yearning.
    Z...Zen (because Jen E said it in her post and I was staring at it as I wrote this).

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails