Nov. 25: Leaving my heart

I wrote this before I left on vacation and scheduled it to be posted today. In other words, if I have died on my vacation I want to assure you I’m not posting from the beyond. Although I’m totally gonna try that if/when I die.

If all has gone as planned, we’re in San Francisco right now. Tonight we’re going over to Alameda to our friends’ house for dinner. We met Nobbi and Jack on our cruise last year and have occasionally e-mailed and Facebook-ed ever since. We’re excited to see them again and to meet their hilarious beagles. (How do I know they’re hilarious? Because, you silly reader, all beagles are hilarious! Duh.)

The weather forecast for San Francisco before we left was rain, rain, rain. Being from Portland, we’re used to rain but it’s still disappointing to have on vacation. Cross your fingers for us that it doesn’t dampen the spirit of our vacation. Get it? Dampen? (Don’t you wish I would just shut up and not pre-write posts so stupid as these?)

OK, I’ll try harder. Here are some of my favorite things to see and do in San Francisco.

Alcatraz. We’re not going on this trip, but hope to take the kids when they’re a little older and can appreciate it more. It’s a pretty amazing experience.



Alamo Square. Although our one visit to this spot has not the happiest of memories associated with it (long story!), the view is amazing. Alamo Square is the spot where you see the beautiful Victorian mansions with the city skyline rising behind them. Alamo Square is also, apparently, where there is a lot of unsavory and unlawful activity going on. My previous visit was short. I’m not sure if we’ll go this time, but it could be a good spot for Christmas card photos if the skies are somewhat clear.



Beach Blanket Babylon. Funniest, bawdiest, silliest musical revue you ever did see.



Rose Pistola restaurant. We went there a few years ago and it was one of the best meals I’ve ever eaten anywhere. Fun environment and close to Club Fugazi, where you’ll see Beach Blanket Babylon. Win-win-win.

Filbert Steps. Walking down the hill from Coit Tower, April, Debi and I discovered a different and much more beautiful route than the road up: the Filbert Steps are a hidden little gem of private gardens and beautiful views in a surprisingly peaceful setting. I’m not a fan of birds but otherwise it was near perfection.

Washington Square. I don’t know why I love this North Beach park so much, but I do.

Union Square shopping. I don’t plan to do much of this on this trip, but it’s usually my first stop. I love the combination of crappy souvenir shops and upscale boutiques mixed in between the huge department stores. Vic hates when I shop here because he thinks every time I go to Crate & Barrel I buy a punch bowl. I’d like to state, for the record, that I have only bought one punch bowl in my whole life. (Don’t tell him, because he obviously has not yet noticed, but it’s actually new sets of dishes that I always seem to end up bringing home from my shopping excursions here.)

Of course, there are the cable cars, the crookedest street, the bridges, Ghirardelli Square, Golden Gate Park, and all the other things that make up the list of must-sees in San Francisco. It would take a long time to run out of things to do. This is an amazing place. Wish you were here, kinda!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails