Jan. 12: Chemo party #3

Today might have been the halfway point of my chemotherapy treatments; we are still estimating 6-8 treatments will be needed, but won’t know for a bit yet. So, possibly: YAHOO!

My bloodwork, again, was exactly where it was expected to be since my last treatment. That’s good—and a little unexpected to me, because I was worried this upper respiratory infection was gonna make me unfit for treatment this week. The oncologist was also tha-rilled to show me the radiologist’s report on my CT last week (not realizing we’d seen all the details already—heh, we’re so sneaky!). She was very encouraging at the overall decrease in size of O.J., and everything is all pretty much as she had hoped it would be at this point in my treatment.

Kim F’n joined us for chemo today and we had a BLAST. It’s a good thing the worst part about chemo is that it’s boring; I mean, it doesn’t hurt or make me sick while I’m hooked up, so it’s mostly just a great time to hang out if you’re with someone fun. Just like last time, I was with one of my favorite people today and the time flew by. Oh, and Victor was there too.

Kim took pictures that we posted on Facebook this afternoon. You might have seen them already, but just in case:

This is one of the syringe-administered chemo drugs, and the worst one of all. It’s called Adriamycin or Doxorubicin or hydroxydaunorubicin or Rubex. It is the “H” in my chemo regimen (CHOP-R) and the one that makes my hair fall out. The nurses practically dress up in hazmat gear to administer it because it’s so toxic, they don’t want to get it on their skin. Comforting, isn’t it then, seeing that go into my vein? Yikes. Also, it makes me pee red. But that’s just an added bonus.


Since I’m still hacking up chunks of my lungs, I grabbed a face mask at the front desk when I checked in. Most of the time I put it over my mouth when I coughed, but when I actually tried to put it on my head I had a teensy bit of trouble. Let’s just say the mask rode a little high.

BTW, that’s one of my new scarves, purchased on Etsy, that I love. I got six different pieces of fabric last week to make more just like them. After the fabric and pattern sitting on my desk for a week untouched, I’m hoping my mom will make them, because I’m lazy. I mean, um, I HAVE CANCER! Please, Mommy???

Kim brought me a bagful o’ goodies. The best thing was probably the Pop Rocks, because we decided they actually help the chemotherapy do its job. They totally did not make me asplode, or I wouldn’t be writing about them right now. The other cool thing Kim brought was a Cosmo that she read cover-to-cover. And because her parents occasionally check in here, that’s all I’m going to say about that.

And near the end of my treatment, Kimmeh did her promised IV pole dance. It was totally sexy and not at all weird or something that made other patients stare. She’s a good friend, isn’t she? How many of you would IV pole dance in front of people who think you’re a freak for it? But she’s my freak, and I love her.

Next chemo is scheduled for Tuesday, February 2. Is it going to be Random Sunshine’s turn? She’s got it penciled in, so we’ll see. Sheila R, I’m still hoping to reserve a date for you if you can make it down—I know it takes a lot of effort for you to get here, so I completely understand if you can’t do it.

We came home to a delicious dinner brought to us by my friend Stephanie. This is our week of being spoiled, as several wonderful friends are bringing us amazing dinners every night. It’s pretty much the only time Victor thinks cancer rocks.

blogsignature

4 comments:

  1. If your mom is too busy, mail the fabric and patterns to me. I'll sew them for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the scarf - so pretty! Here's hoping they are right and you are halfway done now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. crappy day to have chemo next, ya know, when the voss' are busy celebrating something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What time is your chemo appointment on the 2nd?

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails