Jan. 24: I miss everything… everything

San Francisco is one of my favorite cities on the planet. I know a lot of people who feel the same. There’s something about simply being in the city that makes me happy; I’ve been there a million times now, and I still get excited when I catch a glimpse of certain buildings or one of the bridges or other landmarks. Every time, it’s the same kind of excitement I felt on my very first visit in 1984.

When I got the newest Train album on iTunes last week, I fell in love with the first song immediately: “Save Me, San Francisco.” The chorus goes like this:

I’ve been high, I’ve been low

I’ve been yes and I’ve been oh, hell no

I’ve been rock ‘n roll and disco

Won’t you save me, San Francisco?

 

Download the “Save Me, San Francisco” MP3 - (Right Click)

 

Kinda fun, right?

I knew this was a song I needed to share with others. And then I started listening to the lyrics more closely. The guy (OK, specifically the lead singer, Pat Monahan, who lives in Seattle) sings “Oregon” as “OR-A-GONE”—granted, for what seems like rhyming purposes, but STILL. As a northwesterner, shouldn’t he know better? Is it not common knowledge that that pronunciation is unforgiveable?

But wait, there’s more! He also sings about meeting “some ladies from Marin” who leave him “with these blisters on my skin.” Well, If I know one thing about my friends, it’s that they love songs about catching STDs. Hm. Maybe never mind sharing this song.

I still love it, though. And I really, really am loving this band so much as I get to know their music better. For instance, the first song I paid any attention to was “Hey, Soul Sister.” My Sunshine girl quoted lyrics from that song on Facebook for days. And then Sherilee posted this fun video of it on her blog, and I love it even more than the official Train video, which is pretty good except for where the girl in the white looks like she has boxer shorts pantylines.

 

Enjoy this little taste of Train. I sure do. But I’m going to pronounce the band name “Try-ane” just to piss ‘em off.

blogsignature

4 comments:

  1. Sunshine girl has completely hyptonized us on this album. Can't get enough.

    Also love "Marry Me" and "Parachute." :)

    Curse/Love you, Sunshine!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's funny that I don't even own the whole cd yet, but am slowly downloading song by song. :) My favorite of the moment is, "This Ain't Goodbye".

    ((siiiiiiiiigh))

    And Jen--you make me laugh. So. good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hyptonized? Did I make up a new word?

    Sounds like a combination of hypnotize and kryptonite, or something.

    We'll call it the "Sunshine's got me hooked on songs" word. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's funny that I don't even own the whole cd yet, but am slowly downloading song by song. :) My favorite of the moment is, "This Ain't Goodbye".

    ((siiiiiiiiigh))

    And Jen--you make me laugh. So. good.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails