Jan. 4: Freak

Soon after I found out I’d be losing all my hair, my mom got me a couple of those little stretchy cotton caps to keep my head warm. I use them more for covering my baldness than keeping me warm (I’m usually hot anyway), but whatever… they work. I wear them all the time around the house. They look lovely with my jammies and stilettos (I read somewhere that cancer patients should still make an effort to beautify themselves and what could be better than high heels?).

When I leave the house, I wig it up or wear a full coverage hat. Last week I tried a scarf that Hawaii Laura sent and it’s now my favorite of all my head coverings—not too hot, very comfortable, and super cute. I’ll definitely be ordering more in other colors.

If you know me, it won’t surprise you that I do NOT go bare-headed into that good night (or day, or meeting, or store, or school). I’ve never been one to prance around naked, no matter what my former roommates may tell you, and now that I have more visible skin than ever, my modesty has only increased.

Loveliest Lori gave me a satin pillow cover and once my head was shaved I loved how smooth it felt on my noggin. My bedroom was my safe haven of bald freedom. However, I started to worry that the kids might walk in, so I started wearing one of my stretchy cotton caps to bed every night. See, until the other day, neither Katie or Jack had seen my head totally bald. I didn’t intentionally keep anything from them; it just never really came up. They asked a lot of questions in the beginning of all this, but the novelty has worn off, apparently, and now they’re just used to seeing my head covered.

One day last week Jack climbed onto my bed to annoy me and started asking questions about my hair. I reminded him that it was completely gone, and asked if he wanted to see my bare head. That big, goofy grin spread across his face. I pulled my cap off and although he seemed a little startled at first, he said, “COOL! You’re like an alien but you’re not green.” That was pretty much it.

One down, one to go. I really, really want to go back to enjoying that satin pillow cover, y’see! Yesterday I asked Katie if she wanted to see my bald head and she quickly said NO and walked away. This morning I tried again and she said NO but then Jack told her IT’S AWESOME, KATIE! and she decided it was okay to look. She stood in front of me and covered her eyes. I pulled my cap off.

Katie quickly peeked through her fingers and I could hear her breath catch in her throat. Then she turned away from me and said, “Okay…” and that was my cue to put my cap back on. She didn’t say anything else. A few minutes later both kids ran off to school with their friends.

It broke my heart that it freaked her out so much. She’s acted perfectly normal ever since, so I don’t think she’s scarred for life or anything. And now I can go back to sleeping hatless, so there’s that.

I just hate that my kids are going through all this too. I thought the toughest parts of dealing with cancer would be MY OWN—chemo, its side effects, trying to meet my responsibilities even when I feel like $#!+… I never imagined that some of the little-ish things would end up being a big deal to Katie and Jack. It shouldn’t suck this much for them too. It just shouldn’t.

blogsignature

11 comments:

  1. Jen, we hurt when we suspect any kind of negativity in our kids' lives. But you are going at this in the right way. You are a wise parent. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, they trust you because you're honest with them. That's all they'll remember of this experience. Mommy had some "sickness" for a bit but was there for us and told us the truth.

    Everyone loves you because you are genuine. Your kids will be BETTER because of this not worse. I believe that whole-heartedly. They're learning that you can go through something difficult, cry, lose your hair, be sad, but ultimately endure and come out the other side.

    You're a great mom! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, L. Lori -- You articulated the words of my heart. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is sooooo true Jen...
    You are a wise and genuine Mommy! I know totally what you mean, the fear of watching our kids, with OUR eyes, and watching them react. I'm sure it still feels like a knife...and Im sorry you had to feel that.

    My son Christian has told me already he doesn't want to see me bald...but that was before he saw Avatar. Maybe if I paint my head blue then take my beanie off, it will make for a good laugh for him?! Whatcha think?

    Like Shantell says...sending a gentle hug (()) your way!
    Bren

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really applaud you for being so open with them and trying to help them see this as "normal" whatever that means. And you know it wasn't the baldness that bothered her, just the utter realness of it all, I'm sure. Cause she LOVES you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're a good mom, Jen. And you're raising a couple of great kids, too. :)

    Ted M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My girls were each apprehensive at first even about the thought of me being bald. Having so much hair beforehand, it was probably hard to imagine. When I let them cut my hair short, they felt kind of a part of the process, and that little act sort of helped. It wasn't for quite a while that my oldest was comfortable with my baldness. My youngest was more ready. Little things happened throughout that helped us all become more okay with it as time went on, but especially while it was still coming out it was just a little traumatic. I sort of made it into a game when I'd call them into the bathroom to see how much of a hairy frisbee I'd made each night. Then, when it all went away except a few stragglies, it looked monstrous. It took me 2 1/2 or 3 months to go in and have it completely shaved. And, then, I felt most comfortable at the clinic where everyone is bald, wigged, or wrapped. I pretty much always tried to keep something on my head in public. At some point being bald at home was okay with both girls, but not out. (So, my head had to stay in the closet).

    It wasn't until I had a boiling hot moment arriving at my destination that I threw off my cover, and was gonna be damned if I'd put it back on until I cooled off. I'd had it with the hot flashes, and wasn't going to suffer for the sake of dignity. When ARG got out of class and saw me, at first she had an indescribable look of embarrassment, which, as I walked towards her slowly turned into gradual acceptance. When I hugged her, it finally became, "It's okay, Mama." That was the moment when the bald thing was put into perspective. From then on, it wasn't so bad, and even a point of silliness in our family.

    The manner of the 'being okay with it' will be different for you, but with no less love. Your kids love you, Jen. What caused you to become bald can be a lot for them to process. No kidding. It is for us. But, just being there for them, and sharing the moments with them as you have is what they will remember the most. They'll be there for you, just as you have for them. That's why they're your family. In the end, I think it'll be less scary for them, and just kind of how mom is for a while. It's okay. ShevyX.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you like the scarf. Other Hawaii Laura said it was her fave, so comfy and soft! I hope you know I'd be doing more for you if I could, but I'm hoping the scarf will remind you that your fan base is a big one and we're all pulling for you!

    I'm in awe of how you are handling this with your kids. That would be the toughest thing for me, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have the kiddos asked if you still have to shampoo your head :).

    I think they just want mom to get better and losing hair is part of your story. K, the Kim F'n pole dancing plans should be in the adult version of your story - PG-13? It is an SDA hospital afterall :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have the kiddos asked if you still have to shampoo your head :).

    I think they just want mom to get better and losing hair is part of your story. K, the Kim F'n pole dancing plans should be in the adult version of your story - PG-13? It is an SDA hospital afterall :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really applaud you for being so open with them and trying to help them see this as "normal" whatever that means. And you know it wasn't the baldness that bothered her, just the utter realness of it all, I'm sure. Cause she LOVES you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails