Jan. 20: “Hope over fear”



I was on my way to the surgeon’s office this morning (more on that in another post) so I didn’t get to see the swearing-in ceremony live, but I’m watching all the replays and continuing events of the inauguration now. Some of my thoughts:

It’s zero friggin’ degrees in Washington, D.C. today? I’m almost glad I’m not there.

What a huge moment we’re all living through right now; this day is amazing. You people that refuse to admit all this means and how far we’ve come can kiss my wide, very white left buttock.

I love all the pomp and circumstance of our national traditions. Seems we just don’t get to see too many of them, and it fills me with a strong feeling of patriotism. Sure, it could have something to do with this pomp surrounding a man I respect (for a change). I like to think today is about the U.S., not Democrats only.

Aretha’s hat? Not so much.

I got an e-mail from my mom yesterday that she was concerned about her dog because he had been sick and lethargic—unusual behavior for this crazy puppy. This morning I called her, partly to check on him, and she answered the phone all teary. It freaked me out. Turns out Gilly’s fine; Mom was watching the inauguration and reacting like most of us are today.

Interested in the presidential blog? Here’s the URL: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/. If you read blogs in a reader, like you should, this is the feed address: http://www.whitehouse.gov/feed/blog/

Another good political blog is written by NPR’s Ken Rudin: http://www.npr.org/blogs/politicaljunkie/. The feed address: http://www.npr.org/blogs/politicaljunkie/index.xml

Best wishes to the senior senators trying to take attention away from the new president by collapsing during the luncheon today.

I asked The Lovely Lori about the presidential line of succession the other day and she whipped out her Blackberry (and I thought *I* was a nerd). She didn’t have it listed, but she had all the Supreme Court justices in there. Her name is not yet on that list, but I’m sure it will be because Lori is awesome. So here, to answer my own question and your curiosity if you have any, is the presidential line of succession:

  1. Vice President: Joe Biden
  2. Speaker of the House: Nancy Pelosi
  3. President Pro Tempore of the Senate: Robert Byrd
  4. Department of State
    Secretary-designate: Hillary R. Clinton
  5. Department of the Treasury
    Secretary-designate: Timothy F. Geithner
  6. Department of Defense
    Secretary: Robert M. Gates
  7. Department of Justice
    Attorney General-designate: Eric H. Holder
  8. Department of the Interior
    Secretary-designate: Ken L. Salazar
  9. Department of Agriculture
    Secretary-designate: Tom J. Vilsack
  10. Department of Commerce
  11. Department of Labor
    Secretary-designate: Hilda L. Solis
  12. Department of Health and Human Services
    Secretary-designate: Tom A. Daschle
  13. Department of Housing and Urban Development
    Secretary-designate: Shaun Donovan
  14. Department of Transportation
    Secretary-designate: Ray H. LaHood
  15. Department of Energy
    Secretary-designate: Steven Chu
  16. Department of Education
    Secretary-designate: Arne Duncan
  17. Department of Veterans Affairs
    Secretary-designate: Eric K. Shinseki
  18. Department of Homeland Security
    Secretary-designate: Janet Napolitano

One of my favorite topics from Obama’s inaugural speech: “For as much as government can do and must do, it is ultimately the faith and determination of the American people upon which this nation relies … those values upon which our success depends — hard work and honesty, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism — these things are old. These things are true. They have been the quiet force of progress throughout our history. What is demanded then is a return to these truths. What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility — a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task.”

“President Obama.” Oh, how I love the sound of that. Good riddance, Divider.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your compliment and insult. I'll take them both. :)

    And it is now included with the SC Justices in case it's needed at another luncheon...xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails