Jan. 4: Kind of a spoiler

Have you seen the ads for Marley & Me? That puppy is so dang cute. I love Owen Wilson (no, I don’t know why either) and Jennifer Aniston is usually tolerable, so it seems like a lovely way to spend an evening, right?

WRONG.

If you’ve read the book, or if you’ve ever seen any “life of a dog” movie, you know what happens to Marley at the end. And I’m sorry, but the movie ticket could come with a free puppy and I still would not go in to laugh for two hours because I know I would then bawl my head off for a week (or more) afterward. Those sweet, funny, romantic trailers give no clue as to the level of sadness that lurks in this movie.

Ye be warned.

And that, my fellow dog-lovers, is our public service announcement for today. As always, you are oh-so-welcome.

5 comments:

  1. Um thank you. Because I would have gone to see it - and it would have been ugly. You just spared me a lot of unnecessary grief. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I planned to go see it until I found out they won't let you take your own dog in to hold and love during the sad parts. I'll just keep my $5 (senior price) and they can make it up through another who is less informed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the book yesterday and cried like a baby. We had a wonderful black lab who we had to put down at 14 when she started messing in the house. Unlike Marley though, we got Ebony when she was a year old and trained for obedience trials. The best, and I mean the best dog ever, so the book hit me hard. I may see the movie and go out for popcorn at the end. When he was describing Marley when he was old and just standing in the yard, that's when I started losing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Old Yeller" pretty much cured me of going to any more dog movies. ("Project X" did the same for simian-based motion pictures.) Fortunately, the kids seem to be too old to want to see Marley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um thank you. Because I would have gone to see it - and it would have been ugly. You just spared me a lot of unnecessary grief. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails